1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NPR: Ohioans feeling the economic pinch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's opposite day, Dexter.

Perhaps you'll feel better to know that a AP story that moved yesterday reported that whites make -- on average -- 20 times the net worth of blacks and 18 times what Hispanics make in this country.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Three pitbulls are definitely a pathway to success. NPR nailed this one.

3. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

The story itself, as someone noted, is a cautionary tale of the horrors that can result from bad decisions and the lack of solid parental influence.

I have no problem with the story. But the headline makes it seem like something different. It wants to make it a tale of redemption when the redemption has yet to occur.

That's the spin Poindexter is pointing out.

4. poindexter

Laura wants to leave the unemployed father, but now wants to marry him. But he's in jail.

Definitely going to break the cycle of failure.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, especially with three pitbulls, and two little kids ages 3 and 4.

Methinks we'll be reading about a child being mauled by a pitbull in San Bernadino, followed by "Joseph" saying that he thought the dogs were "trained."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can agree about the headline. Problem is, Dexter keeps on spinnin.'

7. poindexter

Horseshit headline and horseshit writing.
    This mirrors the national figures which show that 41 percent of Latinas drop out of school because they get pregnant.

Seriously? 41% of latinas drop out of school because they get pregnant?

NPR needs to stop the cycle of crappy writing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It sounded better on the radio. Though it's not clear whether supposedly 41 percent of all Latinas drop out of school or whether 41 percent of all Latina dropouts are Hispanic.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, seriously. I don't know if that 41 percent number is exactly accurate or where it comes from, but a VERY high percentage of latina women get pregnant in their teens (highest in the country), and a very high percentage of girls who get pregnant drop out of school. Why are you so surprised by that, and why does the thing you quoted in particular constitute crappy writing?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dexter, it is National Public Radio, so I would expect that they would be much better at producing radio stories than writing headlines and shooting photos.

Those things aren't exactly in their wheelhouse.

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

If NPR is going to do those things, do them right or GTFO.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Soooo... the thing we should focus our anger on here isn't desperate poverty and a cycle of failure, but whether somebody at NPR wrote an innacurate headline.

I'm beginning to grasp why this country is so fucked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted