1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NPR asks, "What's The Point Of Journalism School, Anyway?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What's the point of NPR?

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I went to a dinner of Indiana J-school grads about 12 years ago. Only four of us in the room -- of about 40 -- were still working in or retired from journalism. A lot of lawyers, teachers (of which I am now one), businesspeople ... very few full-time journalists.

The one thing I tell my high school journalism students is, there are *so many* things you can do with a journalism education. Companies need someone to handle their corporate communications, do their PR/image work, et al. It's not just working in newspapers or blogging for peanuts.

3. kmayhugh

kmayhugh Member

The fact that go-getters can do something else with a journalism degree isn't really an endorsement of the degree. That can happen with any nothing liberal arts degree.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Or the opposite. The editor at my paper took delight in hiring someone with a Master's in journalism. Why the editor thought that made a difference, I'll never know.

Draft saved Draft deleted