1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NPR asks, "What's The Point Of Journalism School, Anyway?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130437287&sc=fb&cc=fp

Discuss.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Correct. Major in philosophy.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you play your cards right, you could get the cubicle next to the sex columnist. That could be cool if you can handle the threat of disease.

Other than that, I'd have to agree with this take. And yet J-schools have record enrollments. Go figure.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This made me both chuckle and fume:

It's kind of like saying, "I want to eat, but I know someone else will cook the food."
    What happens when there's no one left to cook/gather information? How "free" will information be then?

5. VJ

VJ Member

It's phrased poorly, but the general point is that if someone is willing to do your job either for free or for next to nothing, it doesn't bode well for your career. Supply and demand.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many j-schools or communication degrees have admissions requirements besides those for the school in general? Mine didn't, so a lot of people who just wanted to string out their college years would major in communications.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a great business if your daddy's rich, and your mom is good lookin'.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

And that's why I think print journalism will survive The Great Decline. People are still going to want to read something, but the format may vary (iPad, phone, actual dead trees). It's up to journalists to tailor their stories to best fit the platform from which readers are consuming and produce a quality product. Plenty of print products will die, but there will be some that survive. There are plenty of cities that don't deserve to have a local newspaper. But there are some putting together a quality product.

9. kmayhugh

kmayhugh Member

There are people producing information for free all over the internet right now.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish I read this in 1991. :D

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again
    Mostly they are producing opinions, though. Different animal. People will still pay for (essential) information. They won't pay for opinions, which have been insanely devalued.

Again: No one should major in journalism. It shouldn't even be a major. If I were running a university, I would offer journalism as some sort of adjunct to certain majors. Something like, "BA in Engineering with an additional concentration in Science & Technology journalism."

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The late '80s and early '90s -- a period when JOAs were wiping out two-paper town, unions were getting busted, and eager and ever-abundant J-school grads were stepping over bodies to work for less -- was the beginning of the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted