1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now up: McClatchy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

OK, you got me.
    It's not a right in terms of the constitution.
    But almost every business in America has provided this for its employees. Now that it is a staple in almost every business I think it is a right of employees to keep these 401 K plans and the business to fucking do what it promised when it provided this for its employees. I still don't understand why you all are so pro-management. I think management (yes the 10 a.m. yes men and women are part of this) is a huge part of the mess this business is in.
    If you feel better hating on Fredrick go right ahead. You got me on the "right" issue. Feel better?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why are you getting all bent out of shape about whether a company has a 401(k) plan or not?

Their match is so piddling it's a non-issue. And any employee is free to invest as much of his paycheck as he sees fit in a tax-deferred retirement account.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

So you're saying it's morally right for management to provide 401ks and pension plans?

Good people do good things.

Unfortunately, in this day and time, that's out the window for most places just like loyalty and appreciating hard work or extra effort.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bullshit. How many millions of retail employees get a company-provided retirement? How many millions of food service workers get a company-provided retirement? How many service workers in any capacity get a company-provided retirement?

Pension plans were overwhelmingly instituted in some industries -- mostly ones with strong union presences -- between the wars and after World War II, until they were overwhelmingly scrapped in favor of 401(k)s in the 1980s and '90s. This "right" of retirement benefits being provided to employees hasn't been around that long, and this additional "company-matched" benefit just barely began in my lifetime ... and I'm not that old.

Read a little. And grow up.

Nobody's being "pro-management" here. Yeah, it sucks to have the company match taken away. But it's not a right, it never was, this loss of benefits is certainly not journalism-specific, you're still free to start and contribute to a retirement account on your own any day of the week, and right now there are a lot more important things to worry about than a measly 3 percent match when all the stock prices are dropping like rocks anyway.

5. Poor Fred just can't catch a break.

6. Fredrick

OK Buck I should have said professions that require a degree. Why are you so pro management?

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I love you.

(But tell your girlfriend I swear I'm harmless. ;) )

8. Fredrick

I love myself. And I would love any higher-up who stands up and proclaims the internet a fraud.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Word is more cuts are coming to Anchorage.

Don't know how many more in the newsroom can be laid off if they expect to continue printing a 100K daily. As in, physically. There's barely enough people there to write the same sentences over and over for eight hours and fill the newshole -- much less interview sources, dig up facts and write comprehensible stories.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Anchorage isn't the only place to have cuts coming. I'm far more concerned with the layoffs to come than with losing the 401K match.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

this sucks. i know lots of mcclatchy folks. any word on when the layoffs will happen?

12. owelles

owelles New Member

Their match actually wasn't bad as many companies go - if you contributed 6 percent or more on your own, they matched 4 percent. It was great when 401(k)s were actually going up, not so great these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted