1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now this is how a gamer ought to read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stupid, Aug 27, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was fucking hilarious. Good call, Stupid.

And I especially love that it's on the edge of being something you might not get.

2. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

How'd they score 63 points if they never fired a shot?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think he was referring to firearms.

4. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

This was one heck of a quote....

"Each time, we drew up a good play," said Way, whose daughter, Cassandra, was born in November without arms. "But I could see my guys were rattled, I could see the fear. These guys don't have any guts. They have two arms but it's a situation where they have no guts."

terrific stuff.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Wow. You should send this to the Onion or something. I bought it ... sort of. But dropped about 10 WTFs.

6. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Interesting work. Not exactly "brilliant"
    But a nice, light-hearted read once you accept the premise.
    I enjoyed it.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, I still don't get it.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

the guy tells the story of the small town draped in the gamer about the local HS basketball team's playoff loss. It's wry and sardonic and part of a new collection of short stories in a book by Alqonquin Press called "New Stories of the South" (which is why it's in the Lifestyles section of the Web site and not in Sports).

And some of you need to search your couches, scrape up some change and buy a clue. Jesus, I thought we were smarter than the average bears over here.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, Stupid, I got the premise and enjoyed it, actually. I just couldn't tell if it really ran in the newspaper, and which section. Thanks for clarifying.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

C'mon, SF, it read "Lifestyles" right there on the page.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems like it might have worked better if there was somehting positive to add, like a kid who just learned he got a scholarship to State U.

Not everything is sad and freaky in a small town in the South. Just most things.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Geez, you're right... missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted