1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now THIS is a squid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_sc/new_zealand_colossal_squid_4

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A fishing crew has caught a colossal squid that could weigh a half-ton and prove to be the biggest specimen ever landed, a fisheries official said Thursday.

The squid, weighing an estimated 990 lbs and about 39 feet long, took two hours to land in Antarctic waters, New Zealand Fisheries Minister Jim Anderton said.
    If original estimates are correct, the squid would be 330 pounds heavier than the next biggest specimen ever found.

[​IMG]

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man, I thought this was in reference to some drunken sailor.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it weighs 990 lbs., it misses the half-ton mark, thereby signifying a bit of poetic license, doesn't it?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Squid salad. Yum.

5. I was just watching the Discovery Channel documentary on the search for the giant squid this weekend. I just find this stuff fascinating.
    More can be found here: http://squid.us/giant-squid-photos-on-the-discovery-channel/

Apparently, this is a "Colossal," as opposed to a "Giant" squid. So now I know scientists grade calamari the same way my supermarket grades shrimp.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Well, the 990 was an estimate, and the story says it 'could' weight half a ton, so...

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nice. That could be mixed in with quite a few dinners.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem is, now they need to find a couple 55 gallon drums of cocktail sauce.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And a frying pan big enough to cook it.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

You mean the fucking thing it took Ray Milland and John Wayne an hour to kill in Reap the Wild Wind? Those fuckers eat submarines.

- Dan Jenkins' rationale for not eating squid (from a food story he did for Playboy some years back)

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

There are food stories in Playboy?
    You read a food story in Playboy?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Jenkins is writing it? Fucking right.

Draft saved Draft deleted