1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now this is a correction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Jul 26, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Offered without comment.

http://www.regrettheerror.com/2010/07/26/contender-for-apology-of-the-year/

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I hope Rockstar took the charity money and donated it to Wish Upon a Hooker Killed in a Video Game.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I went to the site. Who wrote the original story?

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The Daily Star, a British tab.

Rothbury is a reference to a town in Britain where an ex-con initiated an armed standoff in which his ex-girlfriend and a cop were critically injured and his ex's new boyfriend was murdered. He then went on the run, committed an armed robbery of a fish-and-chips shop and eventually shot himself.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Aside from those errors, we stand behind the factual accuracy of our story. ;D

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Thanks.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But did he Yelp about his dining experience?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's great. Wonder if they were duped, believed some chatter on the Internet or a staffer made the whole thing up.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It would have been a much shorter correction had they taken the Vincent Gambini approach and just said "That entire story is bullshit. Thank you."

10. I can understand how they were fooled. Of course a massively popular video game developer would choose to develop a game based on an obscure event that nobody in its largest markets would have ever heard of, especially given that the series has never used a real world location before. It's such an easy mistake to make and makes perfect sense.

They probably just found someone's humorous photoshop portraying the event as a GTA game and ran with it.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Can't you just hear someone at Rockstar Games saying, "Dammit! Wish we'd thought of that!"

12. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

In other news, the fan-favorite player from my alma matter is on the newest EA NCAA football game. I know because I saw the game cover on the internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted