1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now THAT'S what I call irony: Elijah Dukes fined...FOR PUBLIC SERVICE!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 21, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can't see why that'd make a difference. I mean, if Acta is trying to change the culture, why would be think being late to one team function is better or worse than being late to another?

Still, not that big a deal.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They are.

But to be fair, Dukes has earned this zero-tolerance approach with his past behavior.

3. forever_town

To expand on the issue of Dukes getting treated one way versus Lastings Milledge or another player, I'd harken to a different football example.

When Jimmy Johnson coached the Dallas Cowboys during the height of their 1990s dominance, he treated certain players differently. He said in a televised interview that if a third-string tight end fell asleep in a meeting, he'd cut him. However, if Troy Aikman fell asleep in a meeting, he'd go up to him and whisper "Troy! Troy! Wake up!"

Solid citizens get leeway. Problem children don't.

Dukes gets benched for being five minutes late by Manny Acta time. Ryan Zimmerman might not. It's part of life.

4. JackReacher

Here's the difference in your story.....Third-string TE vs. HOF quarterback.

Dukes and Milledge are both starters. Not much difference in their skill level.

5. forever_town

Indeed. My point is neither Milledge nor Dukes have earned the leeway some would be quick to give Dukes.

Frankly, the only Nat who comes close to earning said leeway is Adam Dunn.

6. JackReacher

So if Milledge and Dukes are essentially on equal ground, why the double standard? I can understand the double standard between Aikman and a no-name tight end.

And Dunn gets leeway why? Because he's been in town five minutes? Because of his salary?

7. forever_town

Because he's a big name and (so far) appears to be a solid citizen. I almost said Zimmerman because he's a solid citizen, or at least is based on what I've seen.

And I would have benched Milledge too if I were Acta.

Trust me, if Cal Ripken were five minutes late because he was giving a speech, this conversation would never have happened. If Acta were managing Cal Ripken and this happened and he did anything other than joke "Beltway traffic got you, Rip?" and laugh, he should be strung up by his nads.

8. JackReacher

That's my point....we're not talking about Cal Ripken or any other HOFer. We're talking about Dukes and Milledge, who are pretty close skill wise.

Apples and oranges.

My brain hurts.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I applaud Dukes for what he did, but did he at least call the team en route to the stadium? You don't punish a good deed, you punish the lack of responsibility.

As far as the comparison to Lawrence Taylor goes, when Dukes becomes an elite gamechanger, then maybe he can bend the rules. But he's nowhere near producing at that level.

10. JackReacher

I don't necessarily disagree with that. But comparing Milledge and Dukes is not nearly the same as comparing Aikman and a third-string TE.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Funny Cal Ripken should be mentioned here, since this whole incident could easily have ended Dukes' Ripken challenge. Luckily, he was put into the lineup later in the day and his consecutive-games streak is still alive and well at nine. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted