1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now THAT'S what I call irony: Elijah Dukes fined...FOR PUBLIC SERVICE!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 21, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Elijah Dukes is not Lawrence Taylor. They have different problems and different talent levels.

Who said this is one size fits all? Perhaps this is not giving Dukes even an inch because of who he is and how he has acted in the past?

And cranberry, I'm not saying he should clear what he is doing during his free time with the team. I'm saying he should make sure it doesn't infringe on his time when he is supposed to be with the team, which is what happened here.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a paid appearance. Not a charity event, but a paid appearance by someone who makes over $400k a year. And regardless, in the third week of the season with a guy who has off the field issues, you might want to take a harder line than you would if it were mid-August with another player.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They bring their uniforms with them from home? I did not know that. Learn something new every day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, I meant it as a joke that he was looking in the locker room for one spelled correctly and therefore was five minutes late on the field.

I know he was actually late showing up.....like I said, just a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Moderator1

Oh. My bad.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's what the Nationals' tailor said. :D

7. outofplace

Exactly.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Apparently, Majestic (the company that makes the jersey) said it's sorry. And I didn't know Zimmerman and Dunn were the only ones who wore the jersey without the "O".

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Why would any Little League invite Dukes, who threatened to kill the mother of his children and the kids, to appear at their Opening Day -- and pay $500 for the privilege? Did they not Google him beforehand?

And the fact that Dukes accepted an appearance fee dilutes the good guy factor to me. If his heart was really in the right place, he'd take the $500 they paid him, turn it over to the team to pay the fine, and say "You know what? It was worth it to be out there with those kids. I would have been happy to do it for free in the first place."

10. outofplace

Good question. I also wonder what in Dukes' history suggests that giving him more leeway instead of less is a good idea.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I swear, some people are acting like Dukes was two hours late for the game after trying to evade police in a high speed chase through SW DC.

He was five minutes late because he was promoting the sport to kids.

The Milledge double standard aside, it was stupid of Acta to bench him. But it's really not that big a deal.

12. Moderator1

Milledge was not late for a game. He was late for a workout on a day when there was no game. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted