1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that's how you run the score up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do you have a problem with a coach who chooses not to embarass another team?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't have a problem with him, no. I don't have much of an opinion either way on him.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Because this is college ball, it doesn't bother me too much. College teams are selected by ability. Presumably everyone on a college team at any level was at least a reasonably good player in high school. If a college isn't able to recruit the kind of players it needs to compete at a given level, the administration really should think about dropping a division, dropping the sport or finding a way to recruit the athletes it needs.
    In high school, a coach is limited to whatever kids get off the bus in the morning. In high school, there does come a point where a coach needs to empty the bench, milk the clock, stop pressing and shooting 3-pointers.
    I don't think that expecting kids to play hard and showing respect for your opponent are mutually exclusive, as some people here seem to think they are.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, I thought Grinnell got away with this shit of lighting up the scoreboard.

Both of these schools are indies in D-3, that's why I had to do some searching around about these two teams.

I need to weigh in on the playing better theory: yes, you have to play better. Particulary if you are team that is competitve. However, if you are a rinky-dink rudy-poo ass operation like OSU-Marion is, you can stop the bleeding, and you sure as hell can't contain it. They have been competitive in two of their games. I call it "don't bother playing defense" defense. Chucking up three pointers and letting the chips fall is pretty asinine. That to me is saying that these teams have no good or average players. Some of these guys couldn't make the JV of a regular D-3 school like Platteville or Lake Forest.

Check their schedule and their scores to date: http://www.marion.ohio-state.edu/Campuslife/MBBall/bballschedule.html .

I do agree with the both of you on the stance, but each team is different and the competitiveness is vastly different. If you are up by 35 with 6:00 to go in the game, pull your fucking starters out and stick the B team in. If the other team let the B teamers go on a 21-0 run to close out the game, then that's the losing team's fault. Other than that, if you have a big-ass lead and you know the other team isn't going back, take the damn foot off of their backs.

It's called having some decency and a measure of class. It's not call feeling sorry for them, just have some common sense.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here ya go:

Every OSU-Marion player played more minutes than any Lincoln player. And the kid who scored 69 points did it in 24 minutes.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Forget my first sentence. ;) Sixty-nine points ... 24 minutes.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Too bad OSU-Marion couldn't have called for the services of someone on the team at the Columbus campus.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen. Most of the schools in the Ohio Regional Campus Conference (MIami-Hamilton, OSU-Marion, and so on and so forth) don't recruit and they aren't members of either the NAIA or the NCAA. It's about one or two steps above intramurals and several flights of steps below a decent juco program.

http://www.ohio.edu/outlook/78f-034.cfm

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lincoln is who we thought he was[/Boothe]
    You play to win the game.[/herm]
    10 score and one[/Lincoln]

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The key statistic here was the attendance: 31.
    If 201 points fall into the basket in an almost empty gym, do they count?

Draft saved Draft deleted