1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that's a fire!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good news is you can just leave it in the back of your yard and those guys from American Pickers will eventually stop by, think it's an antique and offer you silly money.

I'm surprised it burned for 15 mins. That looks so small, it seems like it would have gone right up.

Don't second-guess yourself, you and your daughter could not have handled this any better. Though I do agree with A_QB that NOT knowing your car was about to go up in flames probably kept you calmer (thoroughly understandable, of course).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

OOP, kudos to you for staying calm and getting stopped, especially with the brakes going out. If only some Toyota drivers would read this. ;D
    Kudos to your daughter as well. There's some good parenting involved for her to stay calm like that, and seeing you stay calm certainly helped her. But plenty of credit to her.
    Too bad you didn't get the names/address of the couple that stopped. But paying it forward would be a great way to pay them back. Who knows, maybe you'll run into them or see their RV at some point.
    As far as cars, there are a pretty good number of midsize sedans out there right now, and with the 2011 models about to hit the showrooms this would actually be a good time to find a deal. The Chevy Malibu looks pretty nice. Ford Fusion has gotten good reviews since it got redesigned. Hyundai's Sonata looks snazzy and that company's come a LONG way in terms of reliability. I would say Nissan Altima but you know... ;)
    I'm not too keen on the current Subaru Legacy. Mazda 6 has been a good car for a while. You always have the dependable Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, but I personally find those two cars uglier than sin. And there are always late model used cars, particularly those coming off lease which will save you big bucks.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, we have had at least one Altima since 1997 and I really would have considered another one for my next car. Now? Um, well...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd pay to see you fill out an online survey from Altima.

23.) Would you consider purchasing an Altima again?
    a.) yes
    b.) no

24.) If no, why?
    a.) price
    b.) size
    c.) convenience
    d.) make
    e.) other (if other, please write in reason): CAR BURST INTO FLAMES WITH ME & DAUGHTER IN IT

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Since you're OK - a Pontiac Fiero?

That car looks like somethingout of "Real World - Detroit."

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

Whoops ... wrong accident.

Glad you and the kiddo are OK. Seemed like you did a great job given the situation.

7. outofplace

Thanks, but I have to admit something. I wasn't wearing a helmet, either.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dunno if I'd be so quick to throw Nissan into the fire on this one ... (too soon?)

:D

Seriously, OOP. Glad you and the little one are well, and it's good to hear that some people will stop given dire circumstances.

Wonder if you had a gasoline and/or oil leak somewhere and it caught fire in the engine bay. Vehicles burning up are usually just bad Hollywood stunts.

9. outofplace

Never too soon. Though even I lost my sense of humor for a while yesterday. Now, I'm just loving the responses to this. I could use the laughs.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

OOP's car didn't get the memo that we're playing nice and was actually on its way to chase me down, run me over and leave me burnt to a crisp.

[​IMG]

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gooney goo goo, muddafuckas!

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least you weren't driving this:

[​IMG]

Seriously, glad you both are OK

Draft saved Draft deleted