1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that the World Cup is over......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

West Ham is getting better.
    Latest step: adding Jonathan Spector!
    Anyway, whether Crass is right or Webster is right, it's still worth more attention than the Eurosnobs would have you believe.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Twoback, that is a very factual statement.
    Webster your assumption would be wrong on both occasions. I've taken a half-day and will be going to the afternoon game. Then, I'll hang out in the parking lot as I wait for some of my family to show up in order to go to the evening game.

I dislike Celtic rather fervently, but I will attend a good match to have fun in a big atmosphere.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Wow -- you'll be one of the 1,000 or so people there for the first match. If you've been drinking for most of the afternoon, I hope that you can play nice with the Celtic fans.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have always been able to play nice with Celtic fans ;D. There are too many in my family not to!

Also, my only concern for the Reds game is whether the empty stadium will reverberate the noise caused by someone breaking wind.

I figure if 1K shows up to that game, it would be an astronomically high number.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. MLS has improved. it needs to ratify its playoff format. The current format doesn't put much emphasis on the regular season. All you have to do is finished fourth and you're in (look at the Galaxy last year). On the topic of contests versus EPL teams, it would be nice to see. I remember last year that the Fire almost and should have defeated one of the Italian teams. Sure a MLS team would get slammed against Chelsea or ManU, but I would like to see teams schedule games against the middle and bottom third of the EPL.

next week the galaxy will face crystal palace. Not sure if the Gals will go with its First XI or not

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

WCG, as mentioned earlier, DC United beat Celtic 4-0 last night. A friend of mine down there said the game was a real drubbing. In the coming days Celtic will be playing New England. Red Bull NY beat Bayern Munchen 4-2 a little over a month back.

The MLS All-Star game is set to be against Chelsea. And Red Bull NY is set to play FC Barcelona in August.

I believe other MLS teams will be playing European teams again soon.

8. hachat11

hachat11 Member

The Crew play Everton on the 26 at Crew Stadium. I'll be there for sure.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, I remember when ESPN2 showed the Arsenal and Barcelona game. But will the Fox Soccer Channel show any games from the Spanish Leagues(Real Madrid,Barcelona,etc.)?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I try to stay away from the Premiership. It's just not fun to watch elitists kick the crap out of relegation fodder every week. I'm more likely to listen to a Coca-Cola Championship match on the net.

I love the FA Cup...best competition around. I also like watching Serie A. It doesn't have that overly corporate atmosphere of the Prem. Scottish Premier...I'll usually download the Old Firm and watch it on the computer. From Germany, I'm a fan of FC St. Pauli, so I'll keep an eye out for anything on them.

Boca Jrs-River...love it when I can catch it. I would also enjoy watching Mexican Football, but I live nowhere near a Univision outlet. MLS...not much interest, but I'm definitely excited for the LA derby this weekend. I will find a way to watch it.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Everton are set to play Club America (Mexico) in a friendly as part of an FC Dallas doubleheader on July 29 at Pizza Hut Park.

One of my English mates was an Everton supporter. He had home and away kits and would wear one or the other on the appropriate game day. I may give this one a visit.

Although I must confess the (American) football game at that park Oct. 6 may draw a bigger crowd ... AAnd in these parts may be more anticipated. (Hint: It's on a Friday night.)

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Plano-Plano East? :D

Also, monumentally dumb question, especially considering it comes from someone who loves the sport. What's the difference (if any) between the Premiership and FA Cup?

Draft saved Draft deleted