1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now Taking Nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My pal Smasher Sloan sent me a couple of suggestions for Christmas music that were out of this world. Got me thinking that I need to get the world famous Moddy Mix CD underway a bit earlier this year. I'm busier than I was this time last year. I love the teaching but you assign all this work and DANG! You have to make time to grade it and stuff.
    I need to freshen up my collection and those who have Moddy Mixes know they contain a little bit of everything, from traditional to jazz to country to crass. This year's will be quite low on crass because my extended family has produced too many kids lately.

If there's a tune you like, lay it on me here. I'm in a buying mood and my goal is to make Moddy Mix 2008 the best one yet. I have the first three songs lined up and am wide open after that.

Please don't make me wade through countless posts of bullshit to get suggestions. If you have something to suggest or something to add about a suggestion, I welcome your contributions. If you have nothing to add, I won't be offended if you don't post on this thread.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Oh Holy Night" - Trombone Shorty

It was played on "Studio 60." It made my living room dusty.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

For some comic relief, I recommend "Bizarre Christmas Incident" by Ben Folds (though it is minimally crass, so I'll understand if you leave it off in the kiddos' best interest).

Is it too early to request my copy of this year's mix?

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

"This is Your Gift" by John Tesh. Great song, great message.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fiona Apple put out the best version of Frosty the Snowman you'll ever hear a couple years ago. Put it on there.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Marshmallow World.

Frank and Dean.

Book it.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I suggested Slaid Cleaves' version of "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" off his Holiday Sampler CD last year.

James Brown's "Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto" is a funky number worthy of inclusion.

But you can always find some great stuff on the playlist of John Solomon's 24-hour Christmas/Holiday show on WPRB. Here's what he's played the last four years:
    2007 playlist: http://www.wprb.com/printplaylist.php?show_id=12618
    2006 playlist: http://www.wprb.com/printplaylist.php?show_id=9166
    2005 playlist: http://www.wprb.com/printplaylist.php?show_id=5792
    2004 playlist: http://www.wprb.com/printplaylist.php?show_id=2715

8. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

"Disfunctional Family Christmas" by Montgomery Gentry (for your crass)

"River" by Sister Hazel (Joni Mitchell cover, a song in the movie "Almost Famous" when William runs into his sister in the airport)
    Hezel's version is also peppered with some "White Christmas"

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

for the crass, let me send you an MP3 of the unreleased (and only played in concert) Springsteen gem "Pilgrim in the Temple of Love" (which upon first hearing, fans named the song "Santa Gets a Blowjob")

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I have a holiday collection by some of the metromess's best country/Americana acts circa 2000. It has a track on it [sorry...I can't recall the group's name off the top of my head] that pretty much sums up December: "Alcoholidays".

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Solid

Draft saved Draft deleted