1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now On Sale: Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 13, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I might just have to get a piece of that sod for $80. Other prices are way too fucking high.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

$2,000 seats? Pass.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Anyone who buys this shit can never again bitch about players being paid to much.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I think my dad has some from Kauffman Stadium (I'm just assuming because it had the Royals logo on it) and we still have it many, many, many years (and four moves) later. It'll be around awhile.

EDIT: after looking at the pictures, I think it's a piece of authentic sod. It was a square piece. So I really have no idea on the Chia Pet-looking thing they're selling.

I did find it funny that one of the cheapest things in the stadium seats area was the Derek Jeter-autographed seat.

6. If anyone's curious, shipping on the $50,000 piece of NY logo sod is $4.99.

And the "Proceed to Checkout" button has never been so ominous. I'm one click and a credit card number from ruining my life.

That's actually a pretty weird place to be, drunk at 5 a.m. on a Thursday morning.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

$10K for a 20x20 piece of sod from the outfielder? My god.

The late Larry Ritter, of "The Glory of Their Times" fame, told a story of when they were tearing down the Polo Grounds in the '60s, he went up there ("anybody could walk in," he said) and dug up a piece of sod from center field. He had it shipped to Fred Snodgrass, the ex-Giants outfielder (of "Snodgrass' Muff" fame), who planted it in his backyard in Oxnard, Calif., and put a fence around it. It took root and he was always pleased that he "had a little bit of center field" in his backyard.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had part of the 10-yard line from Texas Stadium as carpeting in my bedroom in college. (Don't know it was the 10 for sure, but a swatch of old-school AstroTurf with a white stripe across it lends credence to it.)

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tulane Stadium was in the process of being demolished when I got there. Kids were cutting out huge sections of AstroTurf for their dorm rooms. But they stank so bad most went right in the dumpster. I did, however, save a brick from the facade.

I also have some paint scrapings from Yankee Stadium. I'm hoping they'll take root in the front yard.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He was a good teacher.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I believe that Jeter seat is just the seat back. Not the entire seat. I'll have to double check.

Meanwhile, the wife has given me reluctant approval to spend no more than $200 on this stuff (the chair, she said, is too pricey at $750. I kind of agree. Plus, I already have two seats from Tiger Stadium).

I think I'm buying the photo of the old and new Yankee Stadium with dirt from each ($100) and the piece of freeze dried sod ($80).

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Some of you guys could have just bent down while waiting around the batting cages pre-game and saved yourself a couple of grand. (Four or five blades of grass=$2,000, I'm guessing.)

Draft saved Draft deleted