1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now Oliver Stone is the latest Hollywood brain-dead...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 30, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/12/30/stone.colombia/index.html

Hugo Chavez ig a great man...this terrorist organization isn't all that bad...
    Ollie, enjoy the end of your career in this country.
    For once, I'd like to see BIll O'Reilly hand you your ass.

2. I never noticed that he'd written "Scarface."

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Stone might be overestimating the level of international condemnation if FARC were to take him hostage.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Note to Hollywood for 2008: STFU. If you don't have anything sensible to say about domestic and foreign policy, don't say it at all.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

What is the over/under on how much time Ollie spend in customs on the way home?

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

We will not be this fortunate.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Regardless of what their politics are - whether it's lefties like Stone or Penn, or righties like, uh, Ron Silver and Sajak - I've never understood why movie stars, singers, etc., are criticized for speaking about politics. That one dingbat rightwinger even wrote a book called something like "Shut up and sing." Why should they? I read just as many idiotic quotes about politics from farmers, accountants and barbers, but I don't think they should shut up about it.

Instead of shutting up, I wish Stone would just make another good movie. It's been awhile. Although the box set of his movies remains a standout collection.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Because Hollywood is so devoid of common sense and reality they think terrorist groups are hard-working common people.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

C'mon, man -- you're smarter than spouting moronic stereotypes like this. "Hollywood" is not a person, not a real entity. Yeah, Stone's a fool for cuddling up to FARC and Chavez. And next week, thousands of Iowans and New Hampshirites (bastions of reality, common sense, hard work -- all of them!) will eagerly vote for either 1) the guy who believes the Adam and Eve story, 2) the guy who said Reagan stood up to Iran, and that's why the hostages were released, 3) the game-show host lookalike who'll say whatever people want to hear, 4) the Machiavellian ex-first lady who'll say whatever people want to hear, etc. I'm not talking about ambivalent voters; there'll be thousands of people who ardently support these clowns.

"Hollywood" is hardly the only one hopelessly out of touch with reality. "1600 Pennsylvania Ave." can attest to that. But so can "Des Moines" and "Concord."

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Amen on the Des Moines part.

12. As opposed to professional politicians, seeking to be the most pwerful person on the planet, who don't believe in evolution and are PROUD of it?
    Right.
    And without politicized actors, we don't get Reagan. Or John Wilkes Booth, either. So maybe I'm wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted