1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now I'm 1-for-5 in close games to cover this fall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Oct 17, 2009.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Between four high school football games and one college game, I've covered one good game so far this fall. Local team won that one 20-14, goal line stand by the defense sealed the win.
    Other than that, games I've covered have been 55-6, 52-6, 56-7 and 69-20. In the first three games, team I was covering was on the losing end. The 69-20 was last night's cross-town rivalry game so that's a bit different.
    It's one thing to cover blowouts when the team you're covering wins, but it's hard to write much positive when the only good play of the night is a kickoff return for a TD with three minutes left to avert the shutout.
    Anyone else having a similar run?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So write something negative if nothing positive is happening. One of our writers who covers the biggest school in the area has the same problem you're having since local team sucks and consistently gets blown out by non-local teams.
    You can write about a 69-20 game without "much positive" without being mean about it. Just write what happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted