1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now, here's what I call unloading on a player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 17, 2008.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How long did he serve?

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I think 1 season

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Dany Heatley's is going pretty good too...

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Completely different circumstances, MacTavish was drunk Heatley wasn't

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Driving too fast and killed a guy. Same result.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's that black and white to you? Drunk Driving and speeding aren't even in the same ball park to me.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now this is where JC and I will actually agree, there's a big difference if he had been drinking or not. He was a young millionare athlete with a ferrari, there's a sense of invincability that goes with that. I;m not about to judge the guy. I know people who have been in similar situations and I know how quickly a situation can change when you're behind the wheel -- something that only goes up exponentially when your behind a the wheel of a vehicle that is designed to go extreme speeds. Hell I know very few people who don't speed, especially those in my age bracket. Does it excuse him completely for what happend no, but I'm not about to condem the guy. Its something he's going to have to live with for the rest of his life.

Now had he been drinking that's something tottally different.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I believe Heatley had been drinking, just not enough to be classified as "impaired." I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

On another note, am I the only one who saw the thread title and assumed poindexter has been coaching a girls sports team at the local high school and had developed, um, a new method of "rewarding" the player of the game? :eek:

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That's gold.

As far as Heatley goes he was attending some kind of formal event and there was slightly above trace amounts of alcohol in his blood stream. If I remember correctly it was from a couple of toasts, but it wasn't even near .08, I believe it was something like .014. I don't consider that drinking.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Roy MacGregor has a good story in the globe sports section today talking about Heatley and what a good person he is. Blood alcohol was negligible and speed was more 57-58 mph in a 35 mile/per/hour zone than the 80-90 mph we had heard earlier.
    Apparently, he's a good person and it's important to him that people know that.
    Still, a good kid died due to a dumb decision. We forgive a guy an awful lot because he can shoot a puck.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think that goes for any sport. I guess it's easier to forgive when the family of the victim has forgiven him. Looking back at the way my friends and I used to drive as kids I think that is where my sympathy comes from.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I used to be a little bit reckless too when I was a kid, but I didn't have a Ferrari in which to do it.

[​IMG]

With great power comes great responsibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted