1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now former USAT writer on doing things right, getting the ax

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Dec 3, 2009.

1. somewriter

somewriter Member

If she developed all of those new skills as she said, she should be better positioned to leverage those into her next position, whatever industry it's in. At a minimum, it shows an ability and willingness to grow, adapt and change -- valuable skills for any position. For her sake, I hope she takes as much time considering how those will help her in the future as she did in writing about it the first time.

2. danhawks

danhawks Member

what you need to know here is that unless you're part of the head of the spear, the part of the newspaper that makes cash registers ring, no matter how we'll you're playing the twitter, facebook, flip cam, blog game, you're still up for a layoff. This coming from one of those who lugged a bag full of stuff from his desk out into the parking garage at Jones Branch tonight.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I want a butt kissing front office type to show me some fucking money that twitter is bringing newspapers.
    OK OK we all twitter. Now fire us anyway.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

It seemed to me that this piece was a little bit of a cover letter. She could have listed the awards and honors at the bottom. Not that it's a bad thing. Got the sense it will let people know she's available to work.

That is the shitty thing about the business, the so-called "dead weight" is long gone. Papers are now hacking off vital limbs.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I beg to differ. They've been hacking away at vital limbs for a while, but there's still plenty of dead weight.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

they're called management

7. She obviously takes herself way too seriously. And if I hear another woman boasting about being a "multi-platform journalist," I think I'm going to puke.

8. Right.

I know a woman who went to NW to get her master's in journalism. Concentration? New media.

$30k down the toilet.

Draft saved Draft deleted