1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now charging for content. . . the AV Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

My wife called me at work yesterday with the news about this. Then, a co-worker brought this to my attention.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/media/hi-desert-paper-site-begins-ch/

Perhaps the always up-front Toby Carrig will drop in and explain how this came about.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

So JetHawks fans will have to go the team's Web site to read about another 18-5 game against High Desert?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

18-5? After the fifth inning. :)

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I expect this to be the norm sooner than later. You can't keep giving away your product for free, especially in these times.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

OK, and I've been on that side for a while, but what's not to say, as noted above, the people just don't go to the team's (free) website to get the "news."

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

They won't be able to stop that, if that's what a prospective reader/JetHawks' fan really wants to do.

But, I don't think that's the point of this move.

As a local-oriented suburban-area outlet, the AV Press is simply protecting the actual print paper, and its subscription base, saying, in effect, "If you want the "the paper," you're going to have to, or continue to, subscribe to that."

Or else, pay to get that same paper online, because you are not getting it for free. Period.

If you don't want "the paper," well, that doesn't matter that much to them because they're local and primarily trying serve just their area and their readers -- i.e., those who likely would subscribe to "the paper" -- anyway.

It makes sense to me, and, especially as a local paper, the AV Press can probably do this.

If you're not trying to be all things to all people, it doesn't matter that much if you don't please all people, all of the time.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet they already do.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree, and that's what we're doing. We have snippets of stories online with a "pick up a copy of the paper or call to subscribe" type tag at the end. We started up last fall in a town that lost a 110-year-old paper in '06 and a subsequent 15-month-old weekly in early '08. At first we had everything free online to build up recognition and familiarity, but about a month ago we decided that was long enough.
    Eventually we will probably try to have two versions of our web site, one with just snippets and one for subscribers.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Interesting approach. Who knew the AV Press would lead the way in innovation? I just looked at the site, and it basically looks the same as ever except for the part about having to subscribe to read the stories. If I were a reporter, I wouldn't like it. It's going to hurt them as far as their name being attached to any news they break. Most of AVP's best reporters are want to eventually go somewhere bigger and better. I think it'll make it harder for them to get noticed. Then again, if it helps drive revenue, it might save their jobs. Still, would be nice if they included bylines with the story teases.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Oh my gosh -- that is one awful Web site.

Putrid.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The paper looks much better than the Web site -- quite good, in fact.

Also, its Sunday edition, nowadays, is considerably bigger and thicker than the L.A. Times', and I think it is much- and well-read, at least within its coverage area.

The writing and editing could use a little work, though.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

25 cents a day? How'd they manage to get a coin slot onto their website?

Draft saved Draft deleted