1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now Belo gets out the ax

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I actually like that idea, for the paper to let you know what positions it's looking to cut. Instead, I'm stuck scared shitless and hoping I keep my job.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

3. I don't think Cowlishaw sticks around this time.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

The ProJo cutting list includes "5 section editors." Does that mean department heads? Assigning editors?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why is Belo laying people off when the DMN is offering to share the wealth!?!

6. It's a come-on, Inky. Prepare to be spammed.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that.

I just thought the phrase "share the wealth" in relation to newspapers was comical.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

As is the phrase "Live Better Here." That doesn't apply to employees about to take voluntary/involuntary "separations."
    Live Better Here was the marketing slogan that was in use 2-3 years ago. The TV commercials were voiced by Candice Bergen. Wonder how much THOSE cost?

9. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Got word today that the DMN is mostly gonna involve desk folks, not so much writers this time.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Quality control is for loosers anyway.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

DMN already runs a lot of corrections. This should spike in the next few months.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

from a blog covering the belo buyouts/layoffs.
    http://www.newsbuyout08.blogspot.com/

Completely unofficial, even highly speculative, head count numbers remained in the low 20s as the deadline passed. The final day,Mr. Sunbeam heard of three people who withdrew their names and only one who put in. Anxiety levels were clearly raised by the departmental meetings, but whether that resulted in any mass movement toward taking buyouts remains doubtful.

At the meetings, the managing editor's charts showed reductions of 10 editor positions in Local News, eight editor and reporting positions in Sports, one editor and one reporting position in Business News, four editing and one tech positions in photo and 10 mostly editing positions in arts and lifestyles. That's a total of 35 positions, not including News Art and the Universal/News Desks.

Bottom line: Don't be surprised if any layoffs that occur are larger than any of us expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted