1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now batting, from Texas, the Star Telegram...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 14, 2010.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see who gets the ax in sports. I subscribe to the S-T and can assure you that I'd welcome the opportunity to contribute to that discussion. Not that I want to see anyone laid off, but if somebody has to go, I sure have my preferences.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Jimmy Burch is a good friend of mine from my days in Texas, at three different papers, including the one on the border, where I developed my alter ego.

Duane Price and I are boys.

I know Galloway and some of the other guys a little bit, too. I have run into some of them over the last couple years and have swapped war stories that make you sick to your stomach.

I signed my "buyout" yesterday with same said outfit.

And this war is a long fuckin' way from over.

Best of luck to all affected at the Star-Telegram, which was once an exceptional paper in a proud town, particularly those in sports.

We are compadres in arms.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was what kept me out. I had offers after I got my buyout but I would have had to move, which I didn't want to do.

My feeling was, "Why should I move my family from a place where we're happy so I can take a job where I'm constantly worried about job security?"

The economy may come back eventually. Newspapers will not.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone know who in sports was let go?

As I was telling someone on this board the other day, I get a pit in my stomach every time I read one of these threads. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who knows what these guys are dealing with.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jesus, Jesus. Best of luck to you.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Thanks, dixiehack. Appreciate it.

Gettin' my ducks in a row as we speak.

Last day is May 20.

Draft saved Draft deleted