1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now batting, from Texas, the Star Telegram...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 14, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/1891660.html

Not much meat to the brief, but 28 positions gone. Minimal damage in editorial, yadda yadda yadda. Typical McClatchy speak.

2. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

My gawd ... will it ever end? We moved here a little less than a year ago, when I got out of the biz, and I was pretty pumped at the idea of getting the S-T on a daily basis.

But, gotta say, the paper has been pretty thin, product-wise, and I expected more out of the Sports section. It's been ... meh ... and I find myself barely picking it up -- even considering dropping it.

Maybe that's the product of the ever-dwindling staff, the steady shift away from quality in the name of cost-cutting, and the collective crap that continues to chip away at the foundation of what was the only thing I ever wanted to do (well, except be the second-coming of Roberto Clemente).

For whatever reason, another once respected paper gets the shaft and journalism takes another body blow ... and the sad thing is it happens so often these days that it's not shocking or even unique.

Damn them, every one of the short-sighted idiots who have buried this paper and this once-proud profession.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Guess all that over-blown, chamber-of-commerce coverage of the home-town Frogs in the BCS game - especially the 4 pages printed on purple newsprint - didn't help with the profit margin.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Purple newsprint? Please tell me you are kidding?

5. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "purple prose."

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I missed that thread on here. We're slacking. (I cannot get the S-T where I live.)

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh, someone must have one stashed somewhere ... I know read the SF Chron's Sporting Green as a kid, but purple??

8. Yes, purple newsprint.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Sorry, Mac, that purple newsprint set us back by the exact same anount as your salary, so we have to let you go."

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

The San Diego Tribune used to print a green edition back in the day. But purple? A bit much.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

As you all can imagine, the purple pages looked like shit. But in that way it sort of matched the outcome and performance of the battlin' Frogs.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Amen.
    Newspapers have killed themselves. Period.
    And when the print product is gone, guess what? These newspaper websites will be failures.
    The newspaper had the power of the printed word and the printing press behind it before. When it is online only it's just another website. It will be fun to see the bankruptcies when it's all online.

Oh wait, social media will save the online newspapers. Yeah right. Suckers.

Draft saved Draft deleted