1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now batting: Fort Wayne

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 28, 2017.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

In looking at the Journal-Gazette's list of top editors (the paper that's staying open), the editor has been there at least 25 years and the ME at least 20. The ME was sports editor back in the 1990s, when I interviewed there for a job that turned out not to be a fit for my younger, way-too-eager self. Both the current editor and ME are good people ... the top editor back in the day was a very old-school journalist, as in straight from central casting old-school journalist.

As far as the News-Sentinel goes, their longtime hockey writer doubled as IPFW volleyball writer back in the Arnie and Lloy Ball days and was a good contact in the early days of my career. Hoping he lands on his feet....

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty incredible to be talking in 2017 about a PM paper that is just now stopping production. Gotta give credit to Fort Wayne for that.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

My first two jobs were at PMs (in this century), though both were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My first interview was at another paper in that 'group' that was an AM and when I asked them why they were the only one that made the switch, they said they realized it's really hard to effectively deliver a morning newspaper in the U.P. between November and April if their carriers are out before the plows.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Agreed. You don't want to lose any paper, but how amazing is it that Fort Wayne has had two papers for so long?

playthrough likes this.
  5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They needed someone to turn out the lights.

Draft saved Draft deleted