1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now available: Brangelina

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Only slightly related, I always enjoyed this Molly Lambert essay on Jen Aniston.

The ‘Poor Jen’ Problem

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Clearly a case of gay marriage undermining traditional marriage.

Poor Brad and Angelina. If gay marriage had never been legalized, they'd still be together.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Disagree, Dislike, Dis !

If it's a Team Aniston vs Team Jolie, you know I gotta show up and debate you, DD.

I strongly disagree that Jolie is prettier or sexier. Those two women are a little like Frogger. One will move ahead, then the other will. At this moment Jen's holding up better.

All of yesterday's gifs are a reminder of how pretty she really is.

People still love and root for Aniston. She's warm.

Jolie is dark, goth and not that talented. She's a complete flop as a director.

Jolie is a marvelous humanitarian, and she makes sure you know that. She's gag-worthy humblebrag and martyr-y.

Brad Pitt is average looking.

Hell of an actor, though.

AND... a GREAT executive producer. He picks some sweet projects to get behind.

Inky_Wretch, Dyno and Double Down like this.
  4. Double Down

I love that we've been debating this for 10 years.

Donny in his element and Lugnuts like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My most enduring source of cognitive dissonance on this board is DD's unironic interest in celebrity gossip.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't know how anyone can argue with a straight face that Angelina Jolie > Jennifer Aniston.

7. Lugnuts

How I got over that is to think of him as a connoisseur of popular culture.

8. Lugnuts

Go back to the thread 12 years ago.

It was taken as a given.

9. Double Down

I love culture. Our interest in it reflects a lot about our interests and desires. Smart writing about kinda dumb shit is one of my favorite things. I don't think you can be a fully rounded writer without trying to know what's popular.

As I've said lots, Jolie was for many years the embodiment of sexual temptress. There is something a little scary and dangerous about her. It's like that Ludicris line: We want a lady in the street but a freak in the bed.

It's an unfair standard to ask for, and it's not one I'm particularly enamored with. But that's the Aniston/Jolie divide.

I do think it would be fun karmic justice if he really is involved with Marion Cotillard. I find her so alluring.

I agree he seems like kind of an empty suit.

Clooney has always been the right balance between Pitt and DiCapprio in terms of ambition and how seriously he takes himself. Leo can't stop talking about saving the rain forests, Pitt probably just wants to play video games and get high with Maddox who is like 18 now.

Donny in his element and Lugnuts like this.
  10. Lugnuts

Great post DD, except that someone who passionately kisses her brother in public and wears blood around her neck is not a lady in the street. Jen is the lady in the street.

Jolie has been through the ringer with regard to her health.

Y'all know I love to come here and be brutally honest and get right to the nut.

I've written extensively on this board on the topic of hormones, and part of me can't help but wonder if the removal of her ovaries (and I'm sure subsequent hormone replacement) isn't partially to blame for her filing.

Someone I know, a young woman who had to go on hormones due to ovarian disease, described to me the hell that is premature menopause. She says it changed her personality, made her less tolerant and caused much physical pain. She says it took years of trial-and-error to come up with the right combination of hormones to get her life back.

I cannot imagine having to manage 6 kids while going through what she's been through.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't imagine she has been managing six kids either.

12. Lugnuts

Well she loves them, even if she's not wiping snot.

As my mother said of being a mother, "Once you have a child, your mind is never your own, ever again."

Draft saved Draft deleted