1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now anchoring SportsCenter ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scouter, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Really, it's no shame for Reilly to not have anchoring talent.

Why try to blast that square peg into the round hole??

I just don't understand. It was uncomfortable to watch. I had to change the channel. I had to. And it's not Reilly's fault--he isn't trained to freaking anchor.

I wish Schreiber was still the ombudsman because ESPN just threw a hanging curveball and she's the only one to this point who would Albert Pujols that shit.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I went the other way. I studied TV/radio in college but ended up at a newspaper. I'd have to say that if I were going the opposite way now, I'd be as bad as Reilly.

Anchoring requires a comfort zone. Reilly clearly isn't in it. He's not comfortable on TV at all and I'm wondering sometimes if he doesn't regret going to ESPN because of the TV part. I don't know what he expected but I'm sure this wasn't it.

What I'd hate to believe is that they threw him on the air without an opportunity to do some rehearsals first. He probably thinks he's OK until they point at the desk to go...then he's a deer in the headlights. My first time, I couldn't see the red lights on top of the cameras or the guy desperately pointing to the correct camera because I got fixated on the teleprompter and that's what Reilly reminded me of in the opening segment.

My second time, I was a lot better. I think this was Reilly's second time (maybe third? There was another weekend about a month ago, I think). He wasn't better. He may have even been worse.

3. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

I know ESPN needs to get some return on its investment in Reilly, but Come On Man

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The money they're paying him is known in the biz world as a "sunk cost." It's spent, committed, gone. No sense embarrassing him or the network by forcing this anchor crap.

If the idea at the front end had been for Reilly to move into an anchoring role (or anything on-air besides commentary or cutesy fluff features), he should have been immediately enrolled in intensive broadcast tutoring. But throwing him out there as a claw-back of the money paid to him is two wrongs not making a right.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Apparently they're giving him yet another chance tonight ... but I'm not watching. Judging by the lack of posts, I don't think anyone else is either.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I tried to watch SportsCenter tonight for a bit. Reilly was AWFUL. I switched to Man vs Food and was happy I did.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Was it another new episode tonight?

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

FishHack76, it wasn't a new episode. It was the one where he went to Amarillo, Texas to eat the 72 Oz. steak.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

There was a new Man v. Food. Adam went to New Brunswick, NJ,
    Unfortunately, it was also a new episode of SportsCenter where Rick Reilly ruined my sports highlights.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

That was one of my favorites along with the Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Chicago ones. That steak looked bigger than a bicycle seat. I don't know how the guys does it.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Reilly thinks he's funny, that he's a bon mot machine. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he asked to anchor SportsCenter.

I have tremendous respect for anyone who can do it competently, Lugnuts. Reminds me of the scene from Broadcast News when the accomplished writer begs for a chance to do the nightly news, and fucks it up horribly.

Draft saved Draft deleted