1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now anchoring SportsCenter ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scouter, Dec 10, 2009.

1. writingump

writingump Member

Watched the first 15 minutes or so of it and couldn't take any more. It was a complete train wreck every time Reilly narrated a highlight.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

IN fact, sounds like that's exactly what he did....after that first appearance, I heard him on some radio show talking about how terrible he was. He freely admitted that he sucked at it, and added that he wouldn't get any better.

Making TV look easy is very, very hard.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That Reilly would even feel a need to try this, and the ESPN would let him, and that young potentially great sports writers would be lured into imitation of this, is all sadder than Greg Oden's latest knee blowout.

4. mb

mb Active Member

The Deadspin roundup of Twitter feeds on Reilly is epic. The intro ...

http://deadspin.com/5423300/an-angry-and-bewildered-nation-watches-rick-reilly-ruin-sportscenter

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did the dynamite go boom?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The time has come for Rick to bend over and take it. Take it all and STFU.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

So you're saying it can be learned, not like writing.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A bad idea on so many levels. I'm saying this as a fellow writer who has TV experience on panels and being interviewed, etc. I would be a terrible anchor on PBS, much less an anchor on the most-watched sports show in the world.

Reilly's background is print writing. Sure, he could probably write OK television copy. But it's a whole other world to actually get in front of a camera and deliver it smoothly. It's freaking hard to do, and being in front of the cameras answering questions from a real anchor as an analyst or whatever doesn't prepare you.

I imagine there were only two people on Earth who thought this was a good idea. Rick Reilly and the higher-up that OK'd it.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

He's already telling us things other people told us days before (like Tiger needing to go on Oprah. Goddamnit. What a horseshit idea to start with and Reilly compounds the problem by latching on when the wave is gone. He is triple U.).
    But as soon as I saw him on SportsCenter, my first thought was, "Is this a fucking joke?"
    Yes. And a poor one. Directed at us, the viewing public.
    More reason to hate TSPN.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Writing is a huge part of it. People posted that Reilly was using cliches. That's writing.

But the delivery skill set can be learned, sure.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Time for him to deliver all right...... bend over.

12. ...and with that, my TV went click. God must have known I was tired.

Draft saved Draft deleted