1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Novel or screenplay? Which would you be better at?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Screenplay, easily.

It's been my dream since college to write a movie script or create and write a sitcom. Maybe it'll happen some day. Or maybe I'll just play some NBA Jam instead.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The story of your life, huh? :D

Admittedly, it sounds sort of like mine, too.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Dude, I think the SBTB franchise is dead.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not for long. ...

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In the new series, the SBTB kids enter their 30s, yet waste it watching themselves and contemporaries from Full House and Boy Meets World on video all day, reliving what passes for glory while posting on message boards.

At dinner time, superfan Mike provides a dinner of Taco Bell with a full array of napkins and condiment packets.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I guess my work is done. Back to Super Nintendo, for me.

7. Wait, hold up. How'd you pull it off? Indies? Self-financed?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd suck at both but I'd probably suck less doing a book than a screenplay.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think you'd do pretty well with it, actually.

I thought of a sitcom based on my experiences living in an apartment with straight guy roommates. The premise of the first few minutes of the first episode was trying to guess which of the three guys was gay. The intro would have deceptive "clues" in an attempt to throw the average viewer off track until the gay roommate is actually revealed.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

novel.. I've about a 1/3 of one finished....but, basically, it needs to be the kind that sits there and writes itself because I have little ability to stick to it. Did sell a short story once. Then, after a year of hacking away diligently, really writing every day, without selling anything else, lost focus.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Midnight Nov. 1, and the call of NaNoWriMo awaits.
    I've won the past three years. The first sucks (about a writer), the previous two (about a Congressional candidate and a football players) are developable, and in this year's, I'm going in the naughty direction.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Got a a big, uh, big stack of papers there?

Got a, got a nice little story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for three years? Huh? Got a, got a compelling protagonist? Yeah? Got a obstacle for him to overcome? Huh?

Got a story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yeah, talking about that three years ago. Been working on that the whole time?

Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience?

Yeah? Yeah? No, no, you deserve some time off.

Draft saved Draft deleted