1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nova assistant's bio in question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lone star scribe, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was SID-ing, I had a file way, way back in a drawer labeled "O'Leary." When George O'Leary was in the news, I printed the website bios of every person on our staff and went to each of them and told them they had one chance to make "corrections" to any misinformation that might be on there, no questions asked. I think the only person to make a change was our head basketball coach, who was a self-promoting jackass, so that didn't surprise me.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is my question - how does this lie help this guy?

And what I mean is, if he was fabricating some coaching background or embellishing his roles as an assistant coach years ago, OK, I wouldn't do it but some guys have said that it has helped them get jobs early in their career and then once they got established they sort of weeded some things out that were not 100 percent accurate.

But this guy fabricated a playing career from 20 years ago - how in the world does that help at this stage in his career?

It makes no sense at all.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I guess some people will say/write whatever they think it takes to get an interview or job. I sort of understand that. If you are desperate to get your foot in the door someplace. Once you've started at a job and proved yourself, it shouldn't be an issue.

I remember O'Leary saying something about going to some school, not graduating, and intending to delete that info from his bio but not getting around to it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Really?

As an employer I'd fire your ass as soon as it was apparent you'd lied to get the job. In part because I'd never be able to trust you again.

5. What I don't get is how Jay Wright hired this guy in the first place. College basketball coaches literally know almost everybody in the business, and the ones they don't know they know somebody who does.

If I'm Jay Wright and a guy says he played for a legendary coach like Dick Bennett, one of my first calls is going to be to Dick Bennett. Just sayin'.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kind of funny on this topic: when Joe Cullen, then an assistant of functional imbecile Rod Moronelli with the Detroit Lions, went on his little drunken naked ride back in 2006, a quick Google search turned up all sorts of weird things about his background -- several resume fudges, a few dates off by a couple years (maybe to cover up being out of football??) and curious omission of a job he was apparently fired from after a couple weeks following a previous alcohol incident.

Enough stuff turned up on Google to conclude his resume had been thoroughly cooked several times over before coming to Detroit, but as far as I know nothing more ever came of it -- I don't think the Lions could summarily fire him because he was in the NFL treatment program and by the time he came out everybody just seemed to forget about it.

Eventually of course the whole Marinelli staff went down in a Hindenburg dive so he was fired for fully legitimate reasons even discounting the drunken naked driving and the resume fudging.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Strongly suspect he didn't want to ask many questions, as he wants some kids from the high school or AAU team dude was associated with, and hiring the coach was Wright's "in." Happens all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted