1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nova assistant's bio in question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lone star scribe, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

George O'Leary wonders what all the fuss is about.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Curious. I wonder why someone would put that down, but I wouldn't fire anyone over it if they were otherwise doing a good job.

3. Are you serious? Here is evidence the coach fabricated his credentials -- academically and athletically. He even had the nerve to elect himself the team captain at Wisconsin-GB, where apparently he never attended or played. It's not murder or child rape, but look at what has happened at other schools where academic misconduct has been found.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't feed the trolls.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And shocking to learn he has resigned.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a friend who was wondering if falsifying your resume is a problem.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You might be amazed at how often that happens, too. Not limited to sports jobs certainly.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just a wakeup call for those of you living under a rock. No offence intended.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yeah, OK.

11. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Ok, maybe a little off topic, but I decided to fire up my career/job search. I polished off the resume and joined LinkedIn. I decided to look up a few old colleagues on LinkedIn and guess what? I'm guessing 75% embellish a lot on their resume. Maybe not lie, but definitely stretch their qualifications and experience.
    For example, someone I know spent a semester at a well-known J-school and dropped/flunked out. The J-school is prominently displayed on their resume, although they note "Courses needed to finish up degree."
    I know someone that spent a week-long seminar at an Ivy League school, but looking at their online profile, you might get the impression that the bulk of their education was at the school.
    My point is, obviously I'm not going to lie on my resume and make things up, but where is the line from embellishment and stretching the truth? Is a resume facts, and nothing but the facts? Or are you allowed to trump up certain aspects of your education and experience as long as you can back it up in some way if called out?

Draft saved Draft deleted