1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One indication of how Notre Dame gets special treatment was 2002, when they were selected for a BCS bowl even after Carson Palmer picked them apart on national television.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Hatred and criticism? Notre Dame brings that on itself. You live falsely, bad things happen. Notre Dame is no more relevant than, say, Michigan State or Texas Tech anymore. Their best years are in the days of Rockne, Ara and Holtz. All gone now. Gone.

3. Dick Whitman

Who is arguing otherwise here?

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

So baseball and football are comparable now? Gotcha. Thanks for the update.

5. Dick Whitman

Who was the "better team" in 1993? Notre Dame or Florida State?

6. printdust

printdust New Member

McNuggets man. I read his comment as playing the victim.

7. Dick Whitman

I do think it's silly that any analysis of a Notre Dame game that goes beyond, "Notre Dame sucks" is labeled homerism.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Playing the victim? You've got to be kidding me.

EDIT [A non-ND fan] is the one who started a Notre Dame thread. At no point on this thread (hell, even the board) has anyone made the argument that Notre Dame was a national title contender.

Plenty of people on this thread have declared them be a mid pack Big East time this year based on one game -- a game in which they put up more than 500 yards of offense, the defense held South Florida to 16 points despite the offense giving the bulls field position inside the ND 40 three times, and ND turned the ball over five times.

Give South Florida credit for winning the game. Give South Florida credit for making aggressive plays inside the red zone. Give South Florida's offense praise for holding onto the football.

But let's not pretend that this game was anything more than proof that losing the turnover battle 5-0 is a really easy way to lose a football game.

This doesn't prove South Florida is a world-beater any more than it proves that ND is the worst team in FBS or incapable of winning 9-10 games.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

then what is the hate you're talking about on the thread?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know if you are trying to prove your point here, Dick, but the answer to that question is a resounding "Notre Dame" on that day. I mean, Notre Dame just killed them and FSU got lucky to make it close. FSU's national title is one of the most highly debatable of the last 20 years.

You say "Notre Dame outplayed South Florida for much of the game." Which part of the game was that? It was 16-0 at halftime.

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Gator Bowl, not a BCS Bowl. And then they got stomped by Phillip Rivers and NC State.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He didn't ask about that day. He asked about 1993.

Draft saved Draft deleted