1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

USF also played 2 1/2 to three quarters with a lead of more than two touchdowns, so they were grinding clock while ND was in desperation mode. ND's last drive accounted for 99 yards. Your yard stats mean nothing.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did you watch the game?

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

He obviously didn't watch the first drive.

4. Dick Whitman

Was USF "grinding clock" when they couldn't move the ball worth a damn in the first half?

Also: A touchdown drive with the game still in reach doesn't count toward final yardage?

5. LongTimeListener

Yes. I saw USF leading 16-0, I saw Notre Dame putting in the better quarterback (there's your beef right there, why Rees didn't start), and then with the two weather delays it all just got kind of weird. But once USF established that lead it was pretty clear they were going to rely on their defense.

Turnovers are not a fluke. Unless Notre Dame's last 25 losses have all been flukes.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Some people would say they are!

7. Dick Whitman

I definitely have said on this thread and the college football one that the Crist over Rees decision is inexcusable. That's on Kelly, no doubt.

I will say this right now: USF will not force five turnovers in a game again this year.

8. LongTimeListener

"Game still in reach" is debatable. A touchdown drive when you're down 10 and you score with 20 seconds left, I think it's pretty easy to see that the defense was more interested in running out the clock and keeping the play in front of them, making sure they don't get beat deep.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Turnovers, whether forced or unforced, are part of the game. If you are the "better" team, you don't make five. The "better" team protects the football.

USF led throughout even; survived two lengthy weather delays in the stadium concourse because of the shitty road-team accomodations at ND, and won the game on the road.

Best team won. Yards are for losers. Winners count points.

10. Dick Whitman

I'd be interested to go back and look at their TO margins. I looked up the infamous Syracuse game. Yardage was pretty even. One turnover in the game - by Notre Dame.

That loss: Not a fluke. Just a Charlie Weis Special.

One thing you're right about, though: It's definitely a program that finds ways to lose football games.

11. Dick Whitman

Ah, I knew we'd get here. Wondering when it might come.

Not a fanboy. Not whatsoever.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I am. But I still know one team can't beat another team through forcing them to commit self-inflicted wounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted