1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Blame Kevin Wilson for that, though. He let the kid hold him hostage. He played his hand and he lost. Boo-hoo. And I genuinely wish the kid had gone to IU. But I'm not going to blame the 17-year-old in that situation, when the coach knows the risk he was taking.

2. Dick Whitman

I'm more curious about how many turned out to be busts? Probably not too many, right? Against the field, that's still a tough bet to bank on someone being the best in the class. But you're also unlikely to turn out too badly if you're this highly regarded.

I have no empirical evidence to back this up right now. It'd be interesting to look at. I know there was a Stanford kid in the '90s, I think, who was the poster boy for all the recruiting magazines and didn't end up doing anything.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Carson Palmer.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

ESPN the Magazine did a thing last year where they looked at 25 years of No. 1 recruits (not QBs, but just the No. 1 guy). Almost all of them made the pros. It's only available on ESPN Insider, but someone cut and pasted it on an OU message board.

Stanford guy's name was Randy Fasani.

Xavier Crawford (1988) and Kyle Wright (2003) appear to be the only guys who never even got a shot in the pros, although Marquette Smith and Ron Powlus never played outside the preseason.

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Board/73/No-1-recruits-of-past-25-years-Where-Are-They-Now--925986/1#a935697

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gunner Keil is the second coming of...

...Chris Simms. The last No. 1 rated QB recruit to bail on his verbal, IIRC. Probably will be about as (un)successful, too.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe he will be Jeff George II

7. Dick Whitman

Brian Kelly only made two players available yesterday. After a WIN. Unbelievable. And the two did not include: (1) The back-up, fill-in kicker who kicked the game-winner; (2) The quarterback, last year's starter, who came in on the final drive to lead the game-winning drive.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Kelly went to the same asshole training school as Charlie Weis. It's all about Kelly. Fuck him.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kelly might be a bigger ass than fat Charley if that's possible.

10. Like too many coaches, Kelly has to control the message. Those pesky reporters might have asked those two players, "How come you're not starting?"

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Chrissy "Limo" Simms?

Forgetten, but not gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted