1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2011.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Or it could be a 17 year old kid who is having trouble making up his mind.

I HATE recruiting coverage. The recruiting media is a pathetic parasite that feeds the trolls and pathetic losers of the internet. Leave the kids alone. Let them take as long as they want to pick whatever school they want whenever they want. Soft verbals, silent commitments, committed, verbals, hat games at all star games, all that crap makes me sick.

Maybe Kiel is a little skittish and potentially trouble. I don't really know or care. Until they sign the (one-sided, bullshit) contract, I think we should all leave the kids alone.

/annual recruiting rant over

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Agreed. More than anything, I try (as a local) to always take the opportunity, if an ND cheap shot makes itself available. The locals spent most of the weekend melting down over the "flip" of a verbal commit to Ohio State ("this kid obviously doesn't have the proper "morals" to come to ND!!), which came on the heels of two of their coaches moving to Columbus a week ago (Meyer is EVIL!!! We never REALLY wanted him here!! He's below "our" standards!!).

I spent WAY too long in admission & financial aid (and have a wife still working in the field) to get overly surprised at ANY kid's college search process, athlete or not. First rule of thumb in enrollment management: Don't count 'em until semester census date.....

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Amen. The kid is 17. He has a right to change his mind. I would have decommitted to LSU after watching The BCS Championship.

In the past one of problems with ND QB recruits is that the school builds up the expectations so high they become impossible to meet. See Powlus and Clausen.

Watching clips of the kid, he looks like the read deal. Seems like he can do a lot of the things that Tony Pike did for Kelly at Cincy.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clausen's maturity level (that of a 12-year-old) hasn't helped the dear boy, either.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

By the way, not that there was any doubt, but the Kiel thing is now official:

http://tinyurl.com/7ek67m8

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tell me his real name isn't "Gunner?"

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Must be a thing with quarterbacks. Boomer Esiason's son is named "Gunnar". He's the one who's battled cystic fibrosis his whole life.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But "Gunnar" is an actual name. "Gunner" is a dad who is fucked up in the head raising a kid who has no choice in life but to be good at football (or basketball I guess).

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ever worse - be good at playing QB. You don't see many tackles with the "Gunner" handle.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When was the last time that a No. 1 ranked QB actually became the best in college? I know Barkley was highly rated but No. 1? Luck certainly wasn't, nor was Griffin. Tebow was I believe and look at how he turned out (that Heisman was because of the jump passes as a frosh on a Nat'l Champ).

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think both Vince Young and Colt McCoy were very highly rated, though I don't know if they were #1 or if that could even be determined. Peyton Manning is probably the last one according to the strictest criteria.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Kids with hyperactive parents in the recruiting process almost never turn out to be decent college players.

After the way he screwed up Indiana's recruiting process by committing with the caveat that they didn't recruit another QB, then decommitted -- right about the same time his older brother lost his job to a true freshman -- when it was too late to get in on other QBs for a program that desperately needs depth and guys who can play, good riddance.

Draft saved Draft deleted