1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Please stop opining on this subject. Robinson's yards per attempt, completion percentage, and TD:INT ratio all went <b>down</b> from his sophomore to junior year. You'd expect a baseline improvement, and yet he regressed as a passer. In the meantime, his rushing attempts and yards per carry went down.

By every measure, he is <b>less</b> productive now than he was last year. The rest of the team, not Robinson, is why Michigan improved by three games.

You clearly don't follow this very closely, so stop correcting people who do.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

10-2 vs. 7-6. That's what matters, he and the team played better, and he is a much more viable pro prospect than he was in 2010.

And I supposed Russell Wilson was better at NC State too?

Fetch me a beer, newbie.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Michigan was a better team this year because they had a defense.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As a Michigan fan, I would disagree that Denard played better than he did in 2010 and that he's a more viable pro prospect now. He regressed quite a bit. But the rest of the team, particularly the defense, was just that much better under Hoke.

Denard was a legitimate one-man offense last year. He was far too inconsistent to be that in 2011.

5. Are you a sports journalist?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In 2010 Robinson was in a better system for him.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He also didn't have anything close to a compliment in the backfield like he did this season.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McShay and Kiper only have Floyd rated as a first rounder. We'll see.

But Notre Dame does lose a lot of talent this year. I wonder how Kelly will do this year. Kind of year three under Weis when they fell apart?

But I find it astounding that if a Domer is drafted in the first round this year I think it will be the first one selected since Luke Pettigout in 1999. So there have been 350 odd players selected in the first round since '99 from more schools than I am going to bother to count.

And I am hard pressed to think of a really good, all-pro type NFL player from Notre Dame. Who is their best current NFL player?

What happens to all those perceived five star recruits when they get to South Bend?

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

You're forgetting about Brady Quinn and Jeff Faine as Notre Dame 1st rounders.

I'd say Justin Tuck (3rd rounder) is the best current NFL player.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good question. We'll see if Floyd lands in the first round. I'm a little skeptical, as I am with any player this time of year. Seems like there are 100 kids right now who are listed as a first-rounder by someone or another. I remember how Clausen sank like a stone a couple years ago. And Kyle Rudolph fell into the second round a year ago, though I think he had some injury problems. Floyd wanted to come out last year, but did not receive a favorable report from the draft rating service. And that was before alcohol-related arrest No. 3. T'eo, the linebacker, has already announced he's coming back for his senior year. So either he also received an unfavorable opinion, or he wants to stay for Luck-type reasons.

Someone here posted either on this thread or another that Notre Dame has as many guys in the NFL as Alabama and Auburn right now. So it seems that it is producing quantity, but not enough quality.

About all the five-star recruits, though: That's a bit of a misconception. When I followed college football more closely than I do now, because I was a beat writer, Notre Dame was at the top of the recruiting rankings quite often because it gorged on four-star guys. It lost out on most of the top-tier five-star prospects, particularly on defense. So Notre Dame would have like eight guys in the top 150, but none above 30th or 40th.

That might explain the high quantity of Notre Dame guys in the NFL - as well as the lack of true "impact" NFL players. It would have been interesting to see what Jeff Samardzija might have done had he chosen football instead of baseball.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nope. At the risk of outing myself, I teach English composition and coach baseball at a Edison High School in rural Pennsylvania. Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion and make observations.

And there's no question that while Robinson may have regressed statistically, this past season he was much more of a quarterback than a glorified halfback, as he stayed in the pocket better, went through his progressions better, actually looked to his check down receiver and perhaps even called an audible instead of simply executing called runs or just taking off after 2-3 seconds.

Sometimes, as when golfers change their swing or when pitchers change their style, there's a period of digresson before they become far better than what they were before. You may disagree. That's happened before on this board. And yes, Michigan was nearly 200 points better defensively, which is no surprise, considering Hoke's history as an excellent defensive coach.

And Russell Wilson 2011 is light-years ahead of Russell Wilson 2010.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Denard should have six INTs tonight. All because of ill-advised decisions combined with poor throws.

I'm telling you, this is the way he's looked all season.

Regression.

Draft saved Draft deleted