1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame to ACC in everything but football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As part of agreement, will play football 5 games against ACC schools per year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/09/12/notre-dame-acc/index.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm surprised some conference hasn't given Notre Dame the kind of deal and power that Texas has in the Big 12 to get them for all sports.

I'm glad no conference has, because the Texas deal is the reason Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and A&M are all gone, but I'm still surprised someone wasn't stupid enough to do it. Maybe the ACC basically did and that's why ND is holding out it's football program.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, when you look at a map, that makes complete sense.

4. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

That means, including Syracuse and Pitt, there will be 15 teams in the ACC. I am betting they don't stay at an odd number and go up to 16 ultimately. But who would be the best pick to be that other team?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Big 10 would have been perfect for Notre Dame, but the conference isn't stupid enough to give away everything to a school that really has no interest in being anything other than Notre Dame and all of the other schools.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the Big Ten and Notre Dame could have just played an endless loop of football 20 years ago when they were actually good enough to beat somebody outside their little circle jerk.

This is good for Notre Dame, though. The five ACC games should give them an easy route to faking a 10-2 record every so often.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

An odd number in basketball or non-revenue sports isn't a big deal. They aren't going to add a 16th school just to balance out the basketball numbers because that school won't bring enough to the table to justify it.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

UConn's been mentioned. And as a UConn grad, I hope by God this happens. Like, tomorrow.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Story says Notre Dame could lose some of their midwest rivalries in football. But who? With 5 ACC games and 12 total, they could go 5 ACC, Michigan, Navy, Stanford, USC, Michigan State, BC, and Purdue. Who am I missing?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

BC is ACC, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Here's a better question: How much more before the Big East becomes Conference USA II? That conference just keeps losing big programs. It just blows me away.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They'll "lose" them the same way Penn State "lost" Pitt & West Virginia from its schedule.

Games with Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue will magically become games with Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan and Ball State.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted