1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Student Manager Dies in Tower Collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 27, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is that a fact? That they practiced for 25 more minutes after the tower fell right in front of them (or close enough to notice)? That's horrible. Like every other part of this story.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do we know they were actually practicing? All I've read is they were on the practice field.

If they were practicing, that's insane. But I can't imagine that he's not burdened by this, regardless of how callous his initial actions seemed. People react to tragedy in funny ways.

3. Dick Whitman

Eh, I don't think that. It's not easy to speak in public. He could easily slip and say something that could later be used against him or the school.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I'm rather obviously no ND apologist. Having said that, the spot where they kid fell to, is in the street / access road, between the fields & the ND football facility. The team would have had to walk directly past the kid. Benefit of the doubt....I'm guessing they waited until the kid was transported....

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

As I understand, he died at the hospital. Obviously the continuing practice looks pretty shitty now, but to me, it's possible that it didn't look as bad at the time. Maybe it wasn't obvious the kid was going to die. That seems pretty impossible, but nevertheless, I don't think the continuation of practice automatically makes everyone involved terrible people.

6. mb

mb Active Member

I've seen it said that they practiced for 25 minutes and I've seen this ...

http://southbendtribune.com/article/20101028/News01/101029385/1129/News

7. mb

mb Active Member

That's reasonable.

8. Dick Whitman

From a column on the Notre Dame Rivals.com site:

"I retreated to my car to wait and see what would happen next. I was surprised to still hear whistles from the football field, which told me that practice was still being conducted."

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Their usual glossing over. They'll have their "A tragedy happened this week ..." announcement, followed by showing the moment of silence in the stadium, followed at the end by "Despite a difficult week, Notre Dame showed their true character today by overcoming their sadness to trounce Tulsa ..." crap.

What else would you expect from a network that glossed over China's human rights abuses because it was more important to talk about Michael Phelps' choice of toothpaste.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ultimately, this is on Kelly. But did he order him back up or was it some assistant who screamed for him to do his job to get back up?
    Head coaches plead plausible deniability all the time, because it's some assistant coach who handle the situation because he doesn't want to interrupt the head guy for little stuff.An assistant will be the patsy for this, but every coach needs to take a look at this, because this kid doesn't deserve to be collateral damage.
    Am thinkin $50M is the suit number...

11. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

May have just been keeping them busy. That may sound callous, but in these situations, it's probably better than standing and gawking at the paramedics.

12. mb

mb Active Member

-- I seriously doubt the kid had any idea that the manufacturer says you shouldn't use the lift in winds of more than 25 mph. Whoever sent his ass up there, though, should have known.

-- You can rest assured that if he'd have come down from that lift, the first words he'd have heard would have been "get your ass up there and tape practice or I'll find somebody who will."

Draft saved Draft deleted