1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Student Manager Dies in Tower Collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I think the Facebook posts save ND. The kid *did* say he'd lived long enough.

Sorry.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am missing something. If Notre Dame was practicing indoors, what was he filming?

What a horrible way to die. Especially since he was scared shitless about it for an hour and a half.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I'll be curious to see how NBC - the Notre Dame network - will address this in the next game.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Listen, there are some serious assholes at Notre Dame to send him up on a day like that.

But instead of tweeting, at some point, does it occur to a 20-year-old to put down the phone, and look out for your own safety?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Notre Dame practiced indoors Tuesday because of the wind. They were outdoors Wednesday.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hear ya, but when you're 20 and working as a student manager or whatnot, you do what you're told and don't always think of consequences like, say, a 40-year-old. You also don't *really* think you're going to die, you just Tweet it. Sadly.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've been up on one of those scissor lifts. Even the slightest breeze is scary as shit. 50 mph winds on top of one of those things is fucking insane. Even if Brian Kelly didn't make him go up there, he should've made him come down from there. I mean, c'mon.

Let's call it like it is, though: College football coaches are micromanagers who sure as shit don't want a video kid scared for his life to interrupt the 2 hours of practice time. Football coaches are dictators, and anyone under his umbrella--assistant coaches, players, student managers--know not to question them and to stay out of their way.

20-year old student managers are supposed to do their job and otherwise not be seen or heard. If he would've said "Fuck this" and come down in the middle of practice, thus compromising Kelly's practice film, and the lift never toppled over? He's considered the pussy student manager who hurt Notre Dame's preparation for Tulsa.

I don't blame the 20-year old kid at all. When you're at the bottom of the totem pole, you're wired to do as your told.

This one is on Kelly. He might wiggle his way out of it, but I guarantee you it's on him and he knows it. The fact that they practiced for 25 more minutes is pretty telling, too.

This makes me sick to my stomach. I've long contended that Division I football coaches are among the worst people on Earth. This is more evidence, in my opinion.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well said.

And there are some 40-something year olds in South Bend that should be out of a job today. Who that is, I can't say. But someone or someones should be terminated immediately. And it doesn't take long to figure out who those someones are.

And are criminal charges out of the question here? Doesn't seem like it to me.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Better hit him hard at the press conference coming up. Do not pull any punches here.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Looks like Kelly isn't talking after practice today, according to Eric Hansen of the SB Tribune's Twitter feed. I would guess the school's lawyers advised against it. That, and, less cynically, he's probably grieving and speechless. Nothing to be gained by strolling out there today, I guess, though I would have liked to have seen him man up. There's time for that, though.

11. mb

mb Active Member

The kind of grieving and speechless he was for the 25 minutes they practiced while the kid was dead in the street?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Stinks of guilt.

Draft saved Draft deleted