1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Student Manager Dies in Tower Collapse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Windy out there today, tower falls, manager doing video is killed. Ugh. Awful stuff

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/10/27/student-manager-killed-as-notre-dame-video-tower-collapses/

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Sure as sh*t hope ND doesn't have the balls to insist ND Security Police handle this mess. They're pretty infamous for...at best...putting a "best case" spin on things. Gonna be REAL interesting to watch this one unfold.........

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I can't think of how many times I've been sitting there on a windy day at practice on my beat, seeing the video person up there and thinking to myself that would be the last place I'd want to be. And I guarantee my school's equipment is much more dangerous than Notre Dame's is.

5. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I can't even imagine. God bless.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Condolences to the student's family.

To Notre Dame? Make sure your legal team is a helluva lot better than your football team.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The story said winds were gusting up to 40 miles an hour. Didn't it occur to anyone that maybe the kid shouldn't have been up there, or was taping practice more important?

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Exactly.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll ask it: Fireable offense for Brian Kelly?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That's a tough one. If you're the boss and your neglect of safety results in an employee death isn't it logical to assume you might be out of a job?

That said someone is getting fired. There's going to be a scapegoat here.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Kelly isn't his boss. The video director is.

Draft saved Draft deleted