1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm watching the Aloha (never will I say Oahu) Bowl and I noticed that the Irish players have their names on the back of their jerseys. Have they had that all year? Or did the athletic department and football program decide to debut the look today?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's actually the Hawaii Bowl. Both the Aloha Bowl and Oahu Bowl are defunct.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And before it was the Hawaii Bowl, it was the Oahu Bowl. Before that, it was the Aloha Bowl. And as the only bowl that I've ever been to, I will only recognize the game as the Aloha Bowl.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. They haven't, to answer the original question... and it's always going to be the Aloha Bowl, even when it's not.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

from the chicago trib:

The Irish have names on the back of their jerseys for the first time since the Cotton Bowl in 1987, reinstuting a tradition from the Ara Parseghian years: No names in the regular season, but names stitched on for bowl games.

This from Notre Dame official John Heisler: "Irish coaches and on-field staff wore specially made (by adidas), blue, Hawaiian-print aloha shirts -- festooned with both Sheraton Hawai’i Bowl and interlocking ND logos." (ATB especially loved the use of the word "festooned.")

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not to get picky, but the Hawaii Bowl is not in any way or form the Aloha Bowl. The Aloha Bowl lost its certification and went defunct. The Hawaii Bowl is run by different people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Bowl

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Also, the Aloha Bowl and Oahu Bowl were different bowls but held their last games the same year. It's kind of like how the Poinsettia Bowl and the Holiday Bowl are now (Oahu = Poinsettia, Aloha = Holiday).

IIRC, they actually moved both games. The Aloha Bowl is supposed to be what is now the Emerald Bowl and the Oahu Bowl became the Seattle Bowl, which lasted only one year. Both bowls have the common trait of moving into baseball stadiums instead of football stadiums.

Draft saved Draft deleted