1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Press Box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Jan 13, 2009.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

Anyone tried to cover a game in their press box? I was reading the thread on cheering on press row and I can tell you that Notre Dame is the worst place for that in the country and they don't care if you complain. :mad:

2. Jeff_Carroll

Jeff_Carroll New Member

First of all, let's be very clear about one thing. It's not the Notre Dame beat media cheering. I can absolutely promise you that. Just so there are no misconceptions.

Now, onto the topic ...

In their defense, I don't know how much some of the sports information people can do about it. At some point, the university decided to turn the press box into a hybrid media center/high rollers lounge. It can definitely get annoying, although they do announce "No cheering in the press box" constantly. I've seen people get seriously ticked off about having to restrain themselves.

3. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

I don't know if it's changed, but when I covered games there early in the season, there was no air conditioning and almost no ventilation, so it got extremely hot. But the people there were always nice to work with and friendly.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Haven't been there in nearly a decade, but in the past, there has been a huge percentage of guests/priests/fanbois admitted to the press box, with a proportionate amount of cheering.

And yes, the new press box is insufferably hot compared to the old one, which had sliding windows you could open.

We'll talk about the flabby, flaccid, saggy, soggy, sodden, splitting tubes of rotting animal flesh, floating languidly in a fetid bath of malodorous swill, later. ;)

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So they are slightly better than the Don Canham Death Dogs at Michigan Stadium?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Haven't been in the Big House in a while either, although I do recall that the quality level of the press box dogs took a huge leap in the mid-90s when they went from the mushy boiled ones (see ND above) to pretty good grilled ones.

Of course, for much of the early 90s, your choices were the Canham Death Dogs or fresh pizza brought in by Domino's, which had a sponsorship deal at the time.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then who is cheering?

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The No. 1 violator of all time for the no cheering in the pressbox credo was Tex Schramm at Texas Stadium. He sat right there with the media, not off to the far side or in a separate box. Actually, I use the word "cheering" lightly. It was more like going ballistic, usually when someone like Gary "Hogan-bloom" was messing up again or the refs were once again consping against America's team. As crusty as he was, though, Schramm was a pretty good guy and accessible, so no one in the press fussed about him---he was just part of the atmosphere.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do claim official copyright on the term "Death Dogs" at Michigan Stadium... complete with red and yellow flavoring.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've heard terrible things about cheering in the press box, and the death dogs. Word travels fast.

11. why do people complain about press box food?

if you don't like it, bring a sandwich

12. Jeff_Carroll

Jeff_Carroll New Member

All the donors and fans and such that buy their way up there. There's a million of them.

And I always liked the hot dogs.

Draft saved Draft deleted