1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CRM, Oct 4, 2010.

1. CRM

CRM Member

Blue & Gold Illustrated is hiring a beat writer for its magazine, newsletters and Web site.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/wri/1988218383.html

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Pretty intriguing gig. Who produces the magazine? Is it edited by the school or is independent?

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

"Requirements include ... knowledge of and passion for Notre Dame sports ... " So cheering is OK in the press box?

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'm pretty passionate about Notre Dame sports, and I can assure you that wouldn't stop me from reporting it like it is if I were covering them. You think when I was off work at home watching them get hammered yet again when Weis was there that I was praising the program, the coach and the administration??!! If I had been covering them, you would have seen some pretty passionate, critical reporting. Show me one good beat reporter who is apathetic about the team he or she covers.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Never worked for Blue & Gold, but I know a few things about the parent company. PM if you want.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally agree with you. Just never saw that in a job ad before is all.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wonder if Rudy Ruettiger applied?

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Even though he had hardly a speck of writing ability?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if you had found out that the coach was paying players? What if you found out that the players were cheating in the classroom? What if you found out that an agent purchased a house for the Heisman Trophy-winning running back?

Fan sites often trumpet how "critical" they are about the program because they rip the coach for his decisions on third down.

But they cower at the tough stuff that can actually damage the university.

Therein lies the difference.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Good points. But I also believe strongly that you don't need to be "passionate" about a team or program to be reluctant to dig into the tough stuff like paying players, etc. Back in the good ol' days when those newspapers had the budgetary luxury to have an "investigate" writer or enterprise reporter to dig out the dirt, the beat person could stay relatively clean in the eyes of the school or team when it came to access.

I stand by my statement that a reporter "passionate" about a program or team can do as much real reporting as a nonpassionate beat reporter can, and add that there are factors beyond the pasion factor that determines how much or how well said beat reporter is willing to dig.

But that's just my stance based on my experience and those around me with whom I am familiar. It all depends on your own experience and what's gone on aorund you.

11. esport12

esport12 Member

Can anyone provide insight on this? Seems strange they would post on Craig's List Chicago... I checked out their website. Seemed pretty legit/credible. Is this correct? What about pay range?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

don't know about the pay range but it's $49.95 for a 1 year subscription. had to look it up but i remember my buddy subscribed about 15 years ago and i know i said are you f'n kidding when he said it was about $25 a year

Draft saved Draft deleted