1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame = FRAUD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Your captain of the award-winning SportsJournalists.com debate team.
    That seals it people, Hoops said ND is a fraud, and that's the reason.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that's not what i said, you fuckin' dolt. you said can you be a fraud at 1-0. i said, yes, it's possible. you asked how. well, half the fuckin' teams in college football are 1-0.

but yeah, if you start 1-0, you're the awesomest! that kansas state sure is great. they're 1-0

for the record, i think 'fraud' is the stupidest term thrown around here. although, most people use it as a joke to mock your dumb ass

is notre overhyped and overrated? sure. a 'fraud'? that's just a little bit of hyperbole

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Cal's a fraud

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True. But I also don't like Weis's aggresive game calling at times. Yeah sure, sometimes it works out for him but I'm expecting it to backfire on him at one point. An example was when he went for it on 4th down at the end of the 4th quarter. If GTech would've stuffed Notre Dame on that play, they would've had excellent field position and a lot of time(I think there was 1:30 left or something like that) to get the ball in the endzone and win the game.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Agreed, Hoops, "fraud" is second only to "COCKDIAN" as the most lame term used here.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

And of course, Pussy_Eaten comes in as a close 3rd.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't never call that lame.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

First of all, they never let Walker "pound the ball." The only running plays they ever run are draws and gimmick running plays. Walker's not a classic running back. He's smallish and needs open space to gain yardage. The fact that they had their starting linebacker running the ball in the fourth quarter doesn't say much about Notre Dame's running game.

That being said ... I just can't say that Notre Dame is a fraud because they didn't beat Ga. Tech by enough in Week 1. That was a big-time danger game for ND. All the hype. Hostile hostile environment. Hot weather down in Hot'Lanta. And the Jackets have a history of getting up for and winning these games - ask Auburn and Miami about that.

What impressed me about Notre Dame is that they weathered the early storm and found a way to protect a precarious lead and escape that game with a win.

That was a dangerous, dangerous game for Notre Dame - that's why the line moved down during the week (which GT beat, by the way).

GT has been a top 25 defense the last few years. And we just don't know how good they're going to be overall yet. Way too early to call a team a fraud.

Hell, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech were the only Top 25-caliber teams, other than Tennessee and Cal, playing real games today. Give them credit for that at least.

If Notre Dame can split the next two weeks, they're in pretty good shape.

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

The problem with teams like Notre Dame (and to lesser extents, Penn State and Alabama) is that they are never quite as good as you think they are, but they are also never quite as bad as you think they are.

Notre Dame's schedule is tough. It's not murderous, but it's easily in the top 10. Say what you want about the service academies, but every single conference has bottom feeders, and I bet that Navy and Air Force can compete with the best of the worst. That may be like being the tallest midget, but it's still saying something.

Unlike any other team, however, every game that Notre Dame plays (as long as it is winning) is a national game. Do you think Georgia Tech would have played the way it did if Valdosta State came to town?

Not sure how they can be considered a fraud.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Again, please . . .

Fraud? No.

O-VER-RA-TED? For certain.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"You always ought to be able to make one damn yard"-Bill Parcells.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (or maybe in this case the pumpkin doesn't roll far from the vine). Belichick's the same way. I'll bet Tom Brady sneaks for five or six first downs on 4th and 1 this season.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least they were smart enough to not use their Heisman candidate as a decoy when they needed a yard.

Draft saved Draft deleted