1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame = FRAUD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 2, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm calling it now. Not necessarily a loss to Georgia Tech. But Notre Dame will lose at least three games this year and be exposed as the most overhyped, overrated, phony, fraudulent college football teams in history. They rode this high because (A) they're Notre Dame, (B) they have a Heisman candidate (the most overhyped, fradulent award in sports), (C) Charlie Weis was a big hrie, (D) they almost beat USC last year, and (E) they're Notre Dame.

But would you be all that impressed by any team that went 9-3 vs. this schedule last year:

win over 5-6 Big East team that lost at Ohio U
    win over 7-5 Big Ten team
    loss to 5-6 Big Ten team at home
    win over last-place Pac-10 team
    win over 5-6 Big Team team
    last-second loss at home to team that lost national title game
    win over 6-6 Mountain West team
    win over 5-6 SEC team
    win over 8-4 independent
    win over last-place Big East team
    win over 5-6 Pac-10 team
    Bowl loss (as usual)

Notre Dame beat exactly two teams that finished with winning records, and one of them was Navy, which hasn't beaten Notre Dame since Pearl Harbor was bombed. Now, if you take out the facts of last year and just look at the names you might be awed. The Fighting Irish beat Michigan, Tennessee, Syracuse, Pitt, Washington, and BYU. But those teams had lousy years for the most part!

One thing going for the Irish is that this year's schedule is even more dumbed down from last year. Even the name brands have dropped in value from what you see at eye level at the grocery store to what's on the bottom shelf: North Carolina, Air Force, Army, and Georgia Tech will take on the Irish mystique.

This is a team still living off the legends of Rudy, Knute Rockne, and the Gipper. They're a media creation. Touchdown Jesus, NBC, and Catholic guilt have tricked everyone into falling in love with the good ole Fighting Irish.

But they won't go through the Big Ten unbeaten this year. And they won't go through the Pac-10 unbeaten this year. And like usual they won't even go through the bowl season unbeaten. 10-3, here we come!

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I object to your put-down of Ohio. We're tough, dammit. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And yes, the Irish are a buncha fucking frauds.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An utter fraud? No.

A TON overrated? Fur suuuure.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Notre Dame did not deserve its rankings last season.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

overrated and overhyped indeed

but reggie ball sucks the sweat off a dead buffalo's balls

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The problem isn't Notre Dame being overrated - it's that there is no real superpower team in college football this year, at least right now. ND probably has the most returning starters, including some real big names, from a BCS team a year ago. I think Ohio State at No. 1 is terribly overrated, too - they lost Hawk and almost all the defense.

If I was voting on the AP poll this year, I'd probably be tempted to start at 10 and rank them down to 35. It's that muddled. I would say that a big product of ND's hype is the numbers its offense generated last season, with the same cast of characters back again.

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I agree.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

You forgot F) they're Notre Dame.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm no Irish fan, TSP, but you trash them, then say they'll go 10-3. God, how fraudulently awful that would be. It's not like they're being asked to face a bunch of Sun Belt and C-USA teams. They're a solid team that will always be trashed because there is an equally obnoxious faction wanting them sainted.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

With me or Dooley?

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

If they get passed their first four games without a loss, then I'll take them seriously. And going back to your last sentence, it's not easy to like Notre Dame. Especially with Charlie Weis's arrogant ass running the show. I mean, who the hell does this guy think he is? He's been in Notre Dame for a year in which all he did was beat some mediocre teams. After all, Tyrone Willingham was the one who gave CPR to the Irish.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Why isn't Notre Dame listed as a member of the Pac 10 this year? Stanford, USC, UCLA. Might as well apply for membership! And where's Washington? Who cancelled that one? Willingham or Weis?

Draft saved Draft deleted