1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Football/Recruiting Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brandon McQuinn, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Brandon McQuinn

Brandon McQuinn New Member

The South Bend Tribune is looking for a hard-charging journalist to become an essential member of our team covering Notre Dame football. This position is primarily focused on covering the ins and outs of Notre Dame's recruiting efforts. Coverage includes tracking scholarship offers, identifying campus visitors and immediate reaction to commitments. Most work will be done locally but with the opportunity to travel to national recruiting events. In addition, features, profiles and trend pieces on recruiting are strongly encouraged.

We are looking for someone who can work well on a team but also have the confidence to develop their own stories. In addition to recruiting, you will contribute to game coverage and other daily news, an annual football preview magazine, a weekly game preview section, our primary digital platform ndinsider.com, and a variety of social media channels. A strong social media presence is essential, as is a willingness to participate in multi-media and video projects, and to field TV, radio and podcast appearances.

The South Bend Tribune is a subsidiary of Schurz Communications. At Schurz, we invest in you, always striving for continuous growth and development in an effort to meet the needs and wants of readers, listeners, viewers, users, and advertisers. Our company's strength mirrors the strength of our communities. We support our local communities as a good corporate citizen and encourage active involvement. We value our reputation for honesty and fairness. Our credibility and integrity will never be sacrificed to achieve other objectives. We are committed to providing an environment that gives our employees the opportunity to achieve their potential.

To apply please visit schurz.jobs

2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

WOW! Now that's what I call an application.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sounds like a decent gig if you like recruiting. I can't stand it. So I'm out.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

From what I understand Mike Brey is pretty awesome to deal with

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I once covered a basketball game at Notre Dame and you're right, Brey was cool to deal with afterwards

6. HockeyBeat

HockeyBeat New Member

Curious what people think appropriate types of articles would be to submit for this job?

7. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

The best you've got!

Seriously, something that shows you belong, but a mix of great stories (gamer, feature, in-depth, enterprise, football, hoops, etc.) with clean copy that show you can hang with covering one of the most-storied teams of all-time.

If that doesn't work, try the Rudy angle.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Believe the Schurz system only allowed for one story upload.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I recall in some other thread, you mentioned being a college beat writer. They still have college beats where you don't cover recruiting? (Or do you mean the in-depth day-to-day minutia)

10. HockeyBeat

HockeyBeat New Member

I will be curious to see what type of candidate gets this position. Will it be a college graduate or someone with a year or two of post-graduation experience or someone who's covered college football for a few years?

11. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Better not be a recent college grad. Better be someone with experience who has earned the right to a gig like this. Someone who has put in the time on various beats.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

We cover it, and yes I cover it too. Thankfully some of my coworkers help out, so I'm not drowning in it. And, yes, basically I mean the in-depth daily garbage the recruiting websites put out. We're more inclined to use my time working on features than that shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted