1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame football recruit dies in fall from hotel balcony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sucks. Kid had a bright future.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100402/SPT030101/304020086/St.+X+star+Matt+James+dead+after+fall

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ouch. Amazes me sometimes what kids with bright futures think they can do. Alcohol comes to mind here, but people have done the jumping between hotel balconies bit sober.

Whatever the case, it's a major loss for ND and for the family. My condolences.

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

What parent lets their 17-year-old go with his or her buddies to spring break in Florida? It's the equivalent of saying, "Go wild, son!" My parents would have laughed at me for even suggesting it.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Of course they get along. You'd get along great with your teenager too if you never freaking parented, at all. You never disciplined, you never scolded, you never taught them right from wrong. When your kid dressed like a hooch for school you yelled at the school district for "singling out" your kid. When they got a bad grade you blamed the teacher and not the half-assed attempt your kid put in.

I'm not saying this was what happened with this young man, but I certainly see a helluva' lot of it.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Brian Kelly should recruit kids who are smart enough to not fall off a hotel balcony.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Wow. This is getting ugly fast.

7. I wasn't trying to make it ugly. It frustrates me that something senseless and totally avoidable like this had to happen. I don't think high school kids have any business going on spring break. I hope that that seems mutually exclusive from blaming the victim, because it feels like it is but I know it's a delicate line.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When I was 16 the high school band did a four-day trip to Ocean City. We had about 15 parents along to monitor roughly 100 students and there were a set of rules. We had to be in our rooms by 11 p.m. and they put tape on the doors. The tape broke, they assumed you left the room after curfew and you paid the consequences. Girls weren't to be in guys rooms and vice versa with the door closed. Basically safeguards from the trip turning into a giant orgy (and it could have with some of the color guard members we had. This one, brunette, ooh man, she had the best.........shit, I'm off track again). That was in 1993.

So why, 17 years later, with a generation of kids that have proven to be even more sexually active than ours was, would this even be an option? As the quasi-step parent I am (GF has a 15-year-old son), the negatives are way too numerous.

* - He gets a girl pregnant.
    * - He gets an STD.
    * - He gets a girl pregnant AND gets an STD.
    * - He overdoses on something.
    * - Alcohol poisoning.
    * - He gets his ass kicked.
    * - All of the above.

Cons far outweigh the pros.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Um, we had whole CARAVANS of kids from my high school that went to Padre every year for Spring Break. And they still do, which is weird for me to think about going to the same place every year. But I guess it doesn't matter as long as you're wasted, right?

It's the same thing as the Natalee Holloway incident. My parents never let me go to Padre and they sure as hell never would have let me go to Aruba unless they were going.

But some parents have a very different idea of "safe trip" and "having fun" that mine did.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I took a Florida spring training trip in high school with three buddies. Granted, our parents knew we were about as wild as lettuce, but still...it can happen.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

From the AP story that just moved:

“Witnesses and friends indicate he had become drunk and belligerent. He had leaned over the balcony rail, was shaking his finger at the people in the next room over. He fell over.”

And there was this:

About 40 students from St. Xavier and a half-dozen parents were on the trip to Florida, police said.

Why do I have the feeling that it was one of the "half-dozen parents" who bought the booze?

12. mb

mb Active Member

Drunk and belligerent is no way to go through life, son.

Draft saved Draft deleted