1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Football: Ranked No. 1, Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 18, 2012.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and if god wants, some even get pregnant

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Declan Sullivan case is not a reason for the Notre Dame hate. It appeals to people who already hate Notre Dame, but that hate was decades old and the case didn't convert anybody.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What about the Sullivan family?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They love Notre Dame. To this day.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you're saying because Jimmy Clausen looks like an asshole (and probably is one), that's more of a reason to hate Notre Dame than the Sullivan incident? The hate is decades old, so why mention Clausen? Or anything that isn't decades old?

It's a Haters Guide, created to give people a list of reasons to hate Notre Dame. Some stuff from decades ago. Some more recent stuff.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My guess is that the Sullivan stuff doesn't make a list like that is for a couple reasons. First of all, it's far too serious of a matter to make some silly sports list about a team being on TV too much and its former quarterback being a douchebag. Second of all, it doesn't really fit the Notre Dame arrogance/sanctimony narrative in the same way as everything else.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mostly the Sullivan stuff doesn't fit because Notre Dame hate has been around for decades upon decades. If you're looking for something in that route, the gang-rape in the mid-1970s (and the administration basically laughing it off) does the trick. But yeah, the Sullivan stuff isn't all that sanctimonious.

If he missed anything in that roundup, it's Charlie Weis and DECIDED SCHEMATIC ADVANTAGE!!! God, were those glory years for Notre Dame hate.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Right. I get that. But this is a Haters Guide. It's purpose is to list EVERYTHING that makes people hate Notre Dame. Not just stuff that CREATED the hate decades and decades ago.

The Sullivan thing brought a ton of heat on Notre Dame. And a lot of hatred toward the coach, including a lot here. Seems like a pretty damn good reason to hate Notre Dame if you're into that sort of thing. I can't tell you how many people I've seen on Facebook over the last few weeks who have written something along the lines of "Boy, Declan Sullivan sure would have enjoyed this football season. FUCK NOTRE DAME!!!"

And Dick, if you don't think someone like Magary wouldn't jump at the chance to use something serious like the Sullivan case to make a joke, well, you haven't read him all that much.

9. Rape isn't that big of a deal to some.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i know somebody who thought ted bundy was a charming fellow.

Draft saved Draft deleted