1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Football: Ranked No. 1, Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sheesh, that's not even close to the legal definition of murder. Murder, as someone stated earlier, involves premeditated intent to cause death. I can't see that being applicable in the case you cited.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Criminy, trying to equate that with Penn State is ludicrous. Penn State involved officials who knew of crimes and intentionally covered them up. Kelly did not know that an extraordinary 60 mph plus gust of wind would blow down the scaffolding that day. His only offense was declining to excuse someone from doing his job because it was an extremely windy day--and as a consequence a horrendously tragic accident befell the kid.

He is guilty of poor judgment, but he did not intentionally try to hurt anybody, he did not knowingly commit any crimes, and nothing was covered up. It's fair to call him a lot of nasty names for it, but "murderer" is not one of them.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Total bullshit. They don't have weather forecasts in Cornpone County, Indiana? That section of the state had been experiencing high winds all week, yet Kelly insisted on practicing outside because he doesn't like the indoor practice facility, and having the left up IN those winds so it could be taped. Those kinds of lifts also are not to be used in winds that high. But King Kelly needs his practice film (which really benefitted him, since he got dumptrucked by Tulsa that weekend).

His shit judgement led to a kid dying, just like the shit judgement of a drunk driver who drives home and kills someone. They may not have meant to kill that guy, but they did. manslaughter. The end.

http://deadspin.com/5675694/prelude-to-a-tragedy-how-a-notre-dame-student-died-and-why-he-shouldnt-have

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not bullshit at all. It's odd that you highlighted that sentence, because you apparently didn't actually read it. I said he didn't know the scaffolding would be blown down. And he didn't. If you think he did, you're an idiot.

What he did know was that it was very windy out, yet chose to have practice outside anyways. Poor judgment, yeah. But suggesting that decision makes him a murderer or trying to equate with Penn St., in terms of level of culpability, is nonsense.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

Yes, because its a giant mystery what these pieces of scaffolding will do in wind. Its a bigger secret than Loch Ness and Bigfoot combined. If you truly believe that someone didn't come up to Kelly and say, "coach, this may not be safe" in this day and age of the instant lawsuit, you're the idiot. The operator's manual for JLG (a lift manufacturer) states on page 12 "do not operate in winds over 30 MPH."

https://csapps.jlg.com/OnlineManuals/Manuals/JLG/JLG%20Scissor%20Lifts/E2%20Scissors/Operation_3120736_11-21-03_ANSI_English.pdf

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm not trying to defend Kelly on charges of being an idiot or an asshole, he may very well be both. And he certainly employed negligently poor judgment here, with horrific consequences. But he's not a murderer.

And this is in NO way analogous to Penn St. That involved intentional crimes, Sandusky intentionally molested kids, PSU officials intentionally covered it up. Conversely, this was at heart an horrific accident that nobody intended. An accident that may've resulted from a coach's poor judgment to practice outside in extreme winds, but an accident nonetheless.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

I didnt say murderer. I said manslaughterer, which his negligence fits the definition of since his actions led to the unintentional death of another person. I simply said murderer rolls off the tongue easier than manslaughterer. Also, its maddening (and I say this as someone who has no love for Penn State) to see people easily slam Paterno with "pedophile enabler" while kelly's arrogance and negligence is basically forgotten.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A-men. (Coming from a former altar boy and Catholic school grad)

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ryan Abraham ‏@insidetroy
    Kiffin on Matt Barkley said out for Notre Dame.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Late Nov. 93...where was I?
    I was 16 and single, trying to get laid and work on my bad skin.

Today: I am 35 and married, trying to get laid and work on my bad skin.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tim Layden's Sports Illustrated cover story is excellent.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite. ABC/ESPN execs insisted they be on ESPN. Part of their branding (and part of the idea that cable subscriber fees are the biggest driver of revenue these days, not ratings. The Mouse doesn't get much in the way of subscriber fees from ABC, given its stations are all freely available OTA).

Draft saved Draft deleted