1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame Football: Ranked No. 1, Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Irish have been a joke for the better part of 18 years since their last No. 1 ranking -- late November '93. I was 21, still working in California. How old were you? What were you doing and where?

The annual USC stomping of Notre Dame got to be boring in the 2000s, but this should be a fun week and especially for the Domers. College football is better, more vibrant, when Notre Dame is great and everyone who doesn't love 'em thinks that the non-stop fellating borders on overbearing. I'll probably get to that point by Wednesday.

But it's still kind of neat to see Notre Dame fight back from the depths of mediocrity. I wouldn't even mind Notre Dame winning this week to expedite the process of canning Kiffin.

Prediction: Notre Dame 28, USC 27

2. printit

printit Member

If Barkley's out it won't be close.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trying to unscramble the top 20 is like playing Jenga. Hard to argue against the SEC Vortex of power of Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU (mainly thanks to LSU's rout of Washington earlier in the year), but when you start playing the "best win/worst loss" game, you have a hard time determining the "best wins" of teams like Clemson, Nebraska, and Texas which are the "best wins of FSU, UCLA and Oklahoma.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I consider myself something of an Irish fan, and I predict an Alabama-Notre Dame poop sandwich of a title game.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As long as Florida isn't in the title game.

I think Notre Dame v. Alabama would be a good game.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't know. As much as I would like to believe the Irish are legit, I find myself thinking almost every week that they're going to lose 30 and be exposed. I just don't think they're good enough offensively. I think Alabama would have the potential to get very, very ugly for them.

But I've been wrong just about every week.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can someone do a quick Haters Guide to Notre Dame football? Because I don't quite understand why so many people seem to hate Notre Dame the way they hate Duke, Alabama, the Cowboys, the Lakers, the Yankees, etc.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

NBC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Rudy.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If Kiffin is on the sideline it won't be that close.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Lou Holtz
    Paul Hornung winning the Heisman on a 2-8 team
    Beano Cook and two Heismans for Ron Powlus
    Jimmy Clausen committing to ND at the College Football Hall of Fame
    The Subway Alumni.

Draft saved Draft deleted