1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre Dame beat writer - Blue & Gold Illustrated/247Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by djm825, Jul 25, 2013.

1. djm825

djm825 New Member

Blue & Gold Illustrated, a 20x yearly magazine (weekly in football season, monthly otherwise), and Blueandgold.com, a daily website operated through 247Sports, are hiring a football and basketball beat reporter for the upcoming season.

Responsibilities include game coverage, breaking news for the website, regular feature writing and a weekly column for print along with the video and social media expectations that come with any reporting job today. Salary is comparable to what you would get covering the beat at a newspaper and the job comes with a full benefits package.

The magazine's publisher will be interviewing candidates during the week of August 5 in South Bend and making a decision very shortly after that. To apply send a resume, brief cover letter and 3-5 clips to Stu Coman at scoman@comanpub.com.

Any other questions, send me a message.

2. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Went down to Notre Dame to cover the Michigan game this past season for my college newspaper. Even though we were the rival, everyone was great, very nice and courteous, and it's a beautiful campus. Lots of great things about this campus, should be a great job for someone.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I never worked for Blue & Gold, but I know about the company. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

4. Who is "we" and why would anyone in the press box think you were a rival?

5. Zads07

Zads07 Member

We as in me and my crew from the University of Michigan to cover the football game, and because we weren't regular's there, it's pretty obvious who is from the opposing team, especially since we were wearing maize and blue colors.

6. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

I'm sure others will chime in even more negatively than me, but why in the world would you go to a home or away press box wearing school colors?

7. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Proud of where we go to school. Just because both schools are rivals doesn't mean I can't be proud of where I came from and what I'm doing. Plus, like I said in my earlier post, everyone was very nice and great to us. They were happy to have us down there and were very accommodating.

8. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

You are still in college so I won't hammer you for this, but if you want to be treated like a professional never do this again. I cringe when I see "journalists" wearing the team colors. I purposely go out of my way to make sure I wear neutral colors.

Cover the teams you are supposed to cover. Don't support them, cheer for them or wear their colors because you are "proud of where we go to school."

9. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Now I i will say this when I went there. I was wearing a dark blue button down dress shirt, with a striped tie that was yellow and blue. We know not to cheer in the press box, and much of the Notre Dame press did cheer when something good happened for the Irish. I know how to be professional and I am, never once did I cheer. I did my job, got the story, and went home. I figured it was alright since we were in college, but as for professional journalists, it's a whole different ballgame (no pun intended).

10. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

there are pep rallies with less cheering than the Notre Dame pressbox

11. Only time I got to wear school colors on assignment was when we did kind of a "man on campus" thing for road games. I would wear a school polo, and a friend of mine and I would peruse other tailgates, restaurants, etc. Did it practically on our own dime, but it was still a lot of fun and there was surprisingly little shit talking.

Now, the only time I wear a school's colors is on accident. If I have to cover Bumblefuck High and their colors are red and it slips my mind, I'll put on a red shirt that morning and not change. I'm getting paid pittance — why burn through two shirts when I don't have to? It's definitely not as bad as the radio folk, who have polos in every school's colors and have a hat from each school. Gah. Drives me up a wall.

Oh, and this job sounds pretty sweet.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think the clothing thing gets blown out of proportion at times.

But I will say working for a place like this is a bit different than working for an independent newspaper. It's somewhere between newspaper work and SID work. Can be a lot of fun, but also can force you talk a hard line.

How do you cover a scandal involving your team, your sport? Where are your loyalties?

Draft saved Draft deleted