1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notice a few problems with this page?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

Besides everything else, doesn't the Virginian-Pilot (Va. Beach?) have any local sports going on?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Virginian-Pilot is a member here, someone inside who posted a job.
    Perhaps someone from the paper will come on and answer whether this made it into print and out the door.

It's one of the papers I usually see daily.  I did not see it today.  It is a very good paper.  This kind of mistake would surprise me.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So Jason Terry, Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard scored 20 points each. I guess if you're going to use Greek numbers you should be consistent. Final score: Mavs XC, Heat LXXX.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And a former driver at the local stock car track, at that.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And this is the ePilot page, which is usually the latest edition. But maybe they caught it on a late replate and never made the website.

6. zman82

zman82 Member

love the greek bit meat.
    i feel for he guy who fucked up the whole page, but yes we all have had rough nights. outside of the mistakes my biggest gripe was the column since it didn't go with the package. as for the news judgement, it may be simple to say, but could the designer have been new and played up the finals instead of nascar because he doesn't know his market that well yet? just an assumption.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At that size, designer doesn't make the call, the copy chief does. Not sure why they went with NBA over NASCAR (and why Landmark doesn't have a backup beat guy for Dustin Long), but what's done is done. One time while at my mom's house I saw a story that had filler copy instead of story. Shit happens, I guess, even at the design stud papers.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

well NOW it is

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Since we still haven't nailed down if this made it out of the building, I should be able to get us an answer in a couple of days. Heading to the area tomorrow to drop the kids off with my folks. They usually get an early edition of the Pilot. If we still don't have an answer by Thursday, I'll let y'all know if theirs was right or wrong.

10. eaglesin06

eaglesin06 New Member

any updates?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My folks in Suffolk (who sometimes get an early version of the Pilot) had a normal looking section with Game 2 in it.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Have them mail me some peanuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted